Backup files and CruiseControl.Net

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

djMax

Backup files and CruiseControl.Net

Post by djMax » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:58 am

I've read a similar post, but no proper solution, so I'm reposting. We use CruiseControl.Net to do automated builds and releases. Right now, the Vault task in CC seems to get ALL source every time, AND back it all up. So our _sgbak folders are growing about 200Mb per day, which is obviously not good.

I tried to edit HKU\default user to move the backup files, but to no avail. Regmon seems to show that the client overwrites my reg setting every time. How can I make it not keep backups? And how might I make it not fetch the whole source every time? Here's the command CC appears to be running:

vault.exe get "$/MyProject" -destpath "C:\dev\MyProject" -merge overwrite -performdeletions removeworkingcopy -setfiletime checkin -makewritable -host XXX -user XXX -password XXX -repository "Default Repository" -ssl

Thanks.

lbauer

Re: Backup files and CruiseControl.Net

Post by lbauer » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:24 pm

I've read a similar post, but no proper solution, so I'm reposting. We use CruiseControl.Net to do automated builds and releases. Right now, the Vault task in CC seems to get ALL source every time, AND back it all up. So our _sgbak folders are growing about 200Mb per day, which is obviously not good.
Is this similar to the issue in this post? :

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=4083

Did any of the suggestions there help?

Did you try changing the user's options in the Vault GUI Client so that backups wouldn't be created? Is this not working?
I tried to edit HKU\default user to move the backup files, but to no avail. Regmon seems to show that the client overwrites my reg setting every time. How can I make it not keep backups?
I couldn't reproduce this. I was able change the settings in either the registry or the GUI client and they stayed put.

What values did you use when you edited the registry settings for Backupfilesinworkingfolder and Backuplocation? When the client overwrote it, what did it change it to?
djMax wrote: And how might I make it not fetch the whole source every time? Here's the command CC appears to be running:

vault.exe get "$/MyProject" -destpath "C:\dev\MyProject" -merge overwrite -performdeletions removeworkingcopy -setfiletime checkin -makewritable -host XXX -user XXX -password XXX -repository "Default Repository" -ssl

It looks like you're doing a get to a non-working folder (-destpath) but using options that are only relevant to a working folder (-merge, -performdeletions).

The destpath argument means that you do not want to use the regular working folder, and no working folder information will be saved for this get. Since there's no working folder information stored, performdeletions doesn't apply, since it applies repository deletions to the working folder. Also note that specifying the destpath parameter means that every file will be downloaded, as opposed to just updating the working folder with the files that have changed since the last get.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager