How can I move source code from one Vault Server to another?

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Martillo

How can I move source code from one Vault Server to another?

Post by Martillo » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:47 pm

We currently do work for a number of different clients and keep all source code in a single Vault repository. One of our clients has decided that they want to keep the source code we develop for them on their own source control server. They have elected to install a Vault server in their own data center and purchase the necessary licenses, etc. Is there a way we can move their source code from our Vault server to their Vault server while preserving the history of all files?

If this isn't possible, perhaps we could restore our entire repository onto their newly installed Vault server, and then delete (and obliterate) the code that doesn't belong to that particular client. If so, is there somewhere I can find guidelines for moving an entire repository from one server to another?

Thanks for your help.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:09 am

It's not possible to separate out or move portions of Vault database to another repository or database. We are working on this functionality for a future release.
If this isn't possible, perhaps we could restore our entire repository onto their newly installed Vault server, and then delete (and obliterate) the code that doesn't belong to that particular client.
Yes, this is a possibility, provide that the client doesn't have a database they've already done work with -- you couldn't merge them.

But you could backup your database, restore it to their SQL Server per the instructions in the link below, and then delete the portions not relevant to that client.

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=924
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Martillo

Post by Martillo » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:57 am

Thanks Linda.

I also found this post from Jeremy:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=228

It seems that this might simpler than the procedure you suggested (http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=924) as long as we move our Vault database to the client's SQL Server before installing the Vault Server at their location. Do you see any negatives to following the instructions in topic 228?

Thanks again for your help.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:01 am

If you're fine with reinstalling Vault, the method in Jeremy's post is probably simpler, since the installer handles most of the configuration.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

jnapier

Post by jnapier » Mon May 01, 2006 2:21 pm

Hi Linda, we have tried connecting a new instance of Vault to an existing Vault Database that we moved to a new location (new server). Everything worked as expected. We are having a problem obliterating parts of the repository that are not relevant to the client that we moved the database for. Basically the server stops responding and the files cannot be obliterated. I have read other posts that talk about weaknesses in the obliteration process. Basically we are now in situation where we cannot get rid of files belonging to other clients if we use an existing database or we cannot keep version history if we start with a new database. Are there any other alternatives?

I have seen other threads where there is talk about a feature that will provide the capability to move files from one Vault repository to another or from one Vault Server to another. Is this feature close to being released?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed May 03, 2006 8:15 am

Vault 3.5 (due out in late May or early June) will have import/export features so that you can move a repository or portions of a repository into another Vault database.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear