Display full repository path for the hist transaction items

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

arden_dan

Display full repository path for the hist transaction items

Post by arden_dan » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:06 am

Hi,

I've just upgraded to 3.1.1 and one of the 3.1.x updates I am interested in is
"The history transaction details dialog now displays the full repository path for the transaction items."

I expected to be able to do a history by version then on the transaction details form see the full path for each item changed. I'm still only seeing the filename.

Also, the Diff context menu doesn't work when I get to the transaction details form via a history by version, but it does work if I get there via history by item.

Thanks,
Dan

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:50 am

Could you post a screenshot of what you're seeing and the steps you took to get there when you did a History operation?

Also, the Diff context menu doesn't work when I get to the transaction details form via a history by version, but it does work if I get there via history by item

Hm. It does look like nothing happens when you click on Diff. We'll look into it.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:02 am

Update:

We should have been more clear on our documentation of this new feature:

"The history transaction details dialog now displays the full repository path for the transaction items which occur after the upgrade to 3.1."

We didn't retroactively add the path information to history items which existed before the 3.1 upgrade.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

arden_dan

Post by arden_dan » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:54 am

Thanks for the info.

GregM

Post by GregM » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:46 am

That's not good. I thought this was just a display bug, not an actual database recording bug. Can the code which is retrieving these history items detect that the full path isn't there and build it? Can some query or other operation go back through these history items and add the missing path? Is this information just lost forever?

I don't imagine that the information could be lost forever, because then Vault wouldn't know which files to retrieve when doing a Get on that transaction.

mlippert

Post by mlippert » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:55 am

Please double Greg's reply. It pretty much says exactly what I would have after reading this.

Mike

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:14 pm

I thought this was just a display bug, not an actual database recording bug.
It's actually neither a display nor a database bug. We originally designed it that way to save on DB storage. Vault doesn't need the path info; it uses the object ID and the version, not the path.

However, we had a number of requests to display the full path, so we added that feature to Vault 3.1.

We have a feature request logged for a tool to create the path information when users have upgraded from an older version. I'll add your "votes."
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

mlippert

Post by mlippert » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:06 pm

I guess I was assuming that the displayed names were retrieved from the DB based on the object ID, and that the fix was to display the full path based on the object ID, not to store the path in the DB.

Mike

Anyway thanks for adding my vote.

GregM

Post by GregM » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:29 pm

Unless I'm thinking of a different problem, it is a bug because when you try to do a diff on these items without the full paths, it fails.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:59 pm

We were able to diff with and without the full path -- we may be diffing differently than you. Do you have working folders set for the items you are diffing?

The Diff doesn't work in the transaction details form when you do a history by version (logged as a bug). Is that what you tried?

If not, send us steps to reproduce.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

GregM

Post by GregM » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:02 pm

I was just remembering previous reports on the forum. If I run into this, I'll let you know.