Merge Branches lose branch history

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Kristoffer

Merge Branches lose branch history

Post by Kristoffer » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:33 am

When I merged two branches (i.e., a branch and the trunk) a couple of minutes ago I noticed that the history from the files changed in the branch wasn't appended to the trunk. It seems like only the latest version from the branch was appended to the trunk.

Did I do anything wrong or is this the way Vault works? I would prefer the Merge Branches function to include all the history from the branch and not just the latest version.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:04 am

This is the way Vault works.

Sounds like you want to merge the file history as well. That might be tricky, particularly if the same file in the target folder has changed as well. But I'll log it as a feature request.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

mlippert

Post by mlippert » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:59 am

Actually I just noticed something like that also. We're currently still working on 3.0.7.

I've done merges in the past (not sure if it was with 3.0.7 or earlier) and in general the comment that the Merge Wizard creates is a concatenation (with headers) of all the changeset comments that are in the set of changesets that have been selected to be merged.

This last merge, we selected 56 changesets, but only the comment from the last one selected was in the automatic merge comment.

Mike

GregM

Post by GregM » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:49 pm

Yeah, I've reported that merge comment issue before, and I'm pretty it was fixed in 3.1, along with the one where if you picked only one revision, all revisions from that one back to the beginning of time were included in the comment.

mlippert

Post by mlippert » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:51 pm

Great. Thanks for letting me know Greg. I should be doing the upgrade to 3.1.2 sometime this week.

Mike

Kristoffer

Post by Kristoffer » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:12 pm

lbauer: Yes, I would like to merge the file history as well. That is - to me - the logic behaviour of this function so I was surprised when I learned that the file history from the branch wasn't merged. It would be really nice if you could implement that. :)

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:55 pm

I found we already have a feature request to merge file history. I'll add your "votes" and a link to this forum post.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager