Help, bad merge may have messed up repository

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

mlippert

Help, bad merge may have messed up repository

Post by mlippert » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:04 pm

I did a merge last night from our Trunk to a development branch of the Trunk. (Vault 3.1.2)

I'm worried because I seem to hang the Vault client when I try to view the details of that merge today, and it seems to have done something weird.

The weird thing that the committed merge seems to have done is:

for the 2 add folder actions that were committed, the each folder seems to have been added as a subfolder of itself.

Ie add of folder a which contains files and also folders b, c and d created a with its contained files and folders and also a contained folder a with another set of contained files and folders.

Code: Select all

a-a
 -b
 -c
 -c
 -a-b
 -a-c
 -a-d 
If it was just a bad merge I wouldn't be that worried, I'd just fix it, but when the client is hanging trying to view details (it's been almost 30 minutes now) I worry that possibly there's a problem in the database.

Mike

ericsink

Post by ericsink » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:13 pm

Did the merge branches operation seem to go fine? When it showed the list of operations to be performed for your review, did it look okay?

So this merge branches operation added two folders? Is that what it was supposed to do?

When you say "view details", you are using History?

Does the folder tree in the gui client look correct, or does it seem screwed up somehow?
Eric Sink
Software Craftsman
SourceGear

mlippert

Post by mlippert » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:26 pm

Merge branches seemed to go fine.

I actually started it twice, because the 1st time some of the origin files/folders existed in the target, and I didn't want any of them, so I deleted those folders and committed and then re-ran the merge wizard. That meant that 1 rename had been committed by the 1st running of the merge wizard before I stopped it, but that was fine.

When I did the merge I was expecting a couple of folder adds, but now that I go back and look, I think they were actually supposed to be file and folder shares.

Yes I mean using either file history on one of the files involved, or my last attempt was version history on a folder of the branch and then View details of the merge item listed.

So, if I remember correctly now, the Move/Share step of the wizard reported no Move/Shares which is true for existing files as all these shares were of files and folders added during the move.

Lastly, yes the folder tree in the gui client isn't what I was expecting it to be after the merge, but other than that I can browse around it OK.

mlippert

Post by mlippert » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:29 pm

OK, well, the Version details did just show up, it just took 40-60 minutes. But that does make me feel somewhat better (although concerned about the time).

So what I'm thinking is that I can delete the files that the merge added that should really have been shared (along with those that shouldn't have existed at all), and just add the shares by hand after that.