Merge Branches checkout failed

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

mlippert

Merge Branches checkout failed

Post by mlippert » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:54 pm

I was just doing a Merge Branches, and got through everything until it was at the checking out files step. That step failed.

Clicking on Next gave me no information as to why it had failed (I assume some of the files I needed to merge were exclusively checked out, but which ones?)

All that information screen told me was that I had already committed 2 RENAME operations, and there were some files in the origin whose changes were not applied to the target (those files that weren't checked in the step before the checkout step).

In addition although I got a message that the checkout had failed, my pending checkout lists over 340 unmodified files checked out to me. (This led me to discover another bug, namely that Searching for files checked out to me only finds those files that are NOT checked out exclusively!)

So I guess why I'm writing this is:
  1. to ask for better information when a merge step fails
  2. to ask why if the checkout step failed I have so many files checked out when I didn't have any before I started the merge wizard?
  3. to report the bug about search
Mike

ps I just tried to do a search for files checked out by "All Users" in the hopes that that would help me identify the files that are exclusively checked out, but that search didn't list ANY exclusively checked out files either.

Oops, it just occurred to me that the exclusively checked out files may all be under a cloaked folder. I think it is very odd behaviour that Search can't search in cloaked folders. I'd liked to request an additional checkbox option to search under cloaked folders either on the Search tab or the options dialog.

ericsink

Post by ericsink » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:55 pm

I suspect you are correct -- it tried to check out something which was locked by somebody else. And then it did not clean things up by undoing the checkout on all the things it had already checked out.

Is the information in the server log consistent with this theory?
Eric Sink
Software Craftsman
SourceGear

mlippert

Post by mlippert » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:00 pm

Eric,
I'm still trying to figure that out. Of the over 300 files in the merge it's taking me a long time to isolate which one might already be exclusively checked out. (There may be over 700 files in the merge, I haven't counted them, I just recall there being 2 numbers of files retrieved by the wizard, one over 700 and one over 300).

This is why I'd really like a little more information as to what the problem was. If someone has a couple of files I need to merge exclusively checked out, I can go talk to them once I can identify the files.

Mike

mlippert

Post by mlippert » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:51 pm

Well the 2nd time I tried the Wizard it again failed the checkout step. (I did not undo the checkouts the 1st Merge had left behind).

I spent some time looking at the files other people had checked out attempting to identify what had caused the checkout step to fail but was unsuccessful.

So I figured I'd give the Merge Wizard 1 more shot. Because it was a pain to fixup the 5 red items, I didn't do that this 3rd time. And it seems that the checkout step succeeded this time. Again, I had not undone the checkout from the 1st (and possibly 2nd attempts).

I looked at the history of the Target folder to see if anything had been checked in, and there was nothing since the renames were committed from the 1st Merge Wizard attempt.

Mike

ericsink

Post by ericsink » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:23 pm

mlippert wrote:This is why I'd really like a little more information as to what the problem was.
Oh, I agree. The wizard isn't being communicative enough. I should have acknowledged that explicitly.
Eric Sink
Software Craftsman
SourceGear

ericsink

Post by ericsink » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:24 pm

mlippert wrote:I looked at the history of the Target folder to see if anything had been checked in, and there was nothing since the renames were committed from the 1st Merge Wizard attempt.
Is this good or bad? (I think it's good, since the merge should simply have left the changes in your pending change set. Just want to be sure.)
Eric Sink
Software Craftsman
SourceGear

mlippert

Post by mlippert » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:41 pm

ericsink wrote:
mlippert wrote:
I looked at the history of the Target folder to see if anything had been checked in, and there was nothing since the renames were committed from the 1st Merge Wizard attempt.
Is this good or bad?
Well, it's not really good since I have no idea why the checkout failed. I was hoping that I'd see that someone had checked in a file that I was merging which was also an unmergable file. That would have explained why the 1st 2 Merge Wizard attempts failed the checkout step.

Also, I want to say that I don't have a problem with all the successfully checked out files being left checked out when the checkout step failed, I'd just like some acknowledgment that it was done on purpose and why (ie files have been checked out so that no one else will grab one of those files before a subsequent merge attempt. However changes have not yet been merged--those files are all unmodified.) And it would be nice to have the option to undo the successful checkouts rather than leaving them checked out.

Mike