Check out with merge, without getting local copy

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

HankFay

Check out with merge, without getting local copy

Post by HankFay » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:41 pm

In VSS/SOS, one can Check Out without getting local copy. How, using VSS style checkout (ReadOnly), would this be accomplished with Vault? It seems to demand that a merge take place, which isn't applicable in this situation (e.g., being on a plane, making the copy writable, making changes, wanting to check it in when back connected).

thanks,

Hank Fay

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:06 pm

You can't actually checkout files from Vault if you're not connected to the Vault Server.

If you're using Visual Studio, there is a "disconnected" mode that simulates checkouts:
http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=785

If you're using the GUI Client, you may need to work renegade, then checkout when you have network access again. You can use the option "don't overwrite, merge later," or "attempt automatic merge," if the local copy has been modified.

This post has a few more details about working offline with the Vault GUI Client:
http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=4198
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

HankFay

How to let local modified copy overwrite copy in Vault

Post by HankFay » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:07 am

Hi Linda,

the problem is when working renegade there are times when I do not want to merge at all; I want to have my local copy overwrite the one in Vault. In VSS, I would do a checkout/do not get local copy. In Vault, my choices are as you described. How would I accomplish my goal here, using the Vault choices?

GregM

Post by GregM » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:45 pm

Check out, using the "merge later" option. This will change the status to "needs merge". Then, use "Resolve Merge Status" to change the status to "Edited". (This function tells Vault that you've already handled any merge issues yourself.)

HankFay

Changed to Edited

Post by HankFay » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:15 pm

Thanks, Greg, for the workaround. Some things get easier, and some things get harder. :?