Adding VB6 Projects to Vault that already exist in Vault

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

jwebster

Adding VB6 Projects to Vault that already exist in Vault

Post by jwebster » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:34 am

Hello, I have a Repository of several projects and misc. files that I have added to Vault. I want to take those projects that are already in Vault and associate them as projects. Does that make sense? I thought I saw something on the forums a few days ago when searching for another problem but cannot find it now.

Thanks,

Jim
Jim Webster

jwebster

Post by jwebster » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:35 am

By the way, I added them just as files because there are a bunch of projects in the directory....
Jim Webster

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:45 am

I want to take those projects that are already in Vault and associate them as projects. Does that make sense?
I could use more information. Do you want to be able to open a project in Vault as a Visual Studio project?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

jwebster

Post by jwebster » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:53 am

I have added a directory of files to a repository in Vault. Inside this directory which has already been added to Vault, there are several Visual Studio Projects...

I want to be able to checkout and open these visual studio projects that are checked into Vault through Visual Studio...

I think in classic fashion to open up a Visual Studio Project in Vault, you would typically open up the project from your hard-drive or wherever and then say commit to vault. Well, in my instance the project files themself are already in Vault in this directory so how do I open them.
Jim Webster

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:02 pm

The projects in the Vault database need to be retrieved using Visual Studio so the proper bindings can be created. You may already have project on your machine, but it's not bound to source control.

So the first step would be to backup any project on your local machine. Then open the project from source control. The specific command depends on which app you are using in Visual Studio 6. Are you using Visual Basic or Visual C++?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

jwebster

Post by jwebster » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:27 pm

Linda, Visual Basic 6 is what we are using. Let me know. Thanks for your help.
Jim Webster

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:51 pm

This is what I replied to one of your other forum posts:
In VB, under the Tools menu. You should see "SourceGear Vault."
Select SourceGear Vault->Create Project from SourceGear Vault. You'll be prompted to log in to the Vault server and choose a repository. If the project is already in the Vault repository, click on the folder in the tree that contains the project and Vault will retrieve that project and create the necessary source control bindings.

For additional information about IDE integration see this KB article:
http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=776

It discusses VS.NET, but the basic principles apply to VB also.
You mentioned in your other post that you did not see the integration menus.

If that's still the case, see this KB article about enabling integration with VB6:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=2118
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

jwebster

Post by jwebster » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:01 am

Linda:

Yes, I can see the option now. At on my local machine. Can you post step by step directions for us to use for the following tasks or point me to the right article. Here are the tasks we want to perform.

1. Commit a Visual Studio Project (VB6) that is currently on our server into Vault.

2. Commit a Visual Studio Project whose files are already in the Vault System but was never commited as a visual studio project.

I tried to just open up a vb6 project and select save project to vault but I got a general vb6 error and then it shut down so I must have done something incorrect.

Thanks,

Jim
Jim Webster

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:01 am

1. Commit a Visual Studio Project (VB6) that is currently on our server into Vault.

If you have a VB project on a local machine but not yet in the Vault repository, follow these steps:

Open your VB project. Then under Tools->SourceGear Vault, choose Add Project to SourceGear Vault. You should then get a Connect to Server dialog. Log in to Vault, select your repository, and select the location in the folder tree where you want to add your project. After you've added your project, you should see little padlock icons next to the projects and files in VB's Project Explorer.

The next time you open the VB project, you can do it from Visual Basic and it will have the proper bindings to Vault, connect to the server, etc.

The first time your developers get the project to their local machines, they should Choose File -> Create Project from Source Control. Next log in to Vault, and then choose the repository folder where the project has been placed
2. Commit a Visual Studio Project whose files are already in the Vault System but was never commited as a visual studio project.
Try this: In VB, under the Tools menu. You should see "SourceGear Vault." Select SourceGear Vault->Create Project from SourceGear Vault. You'll be prompted to log in to the Vault server and choose a repository. Since the project is already in the Vault repository, click on the folder in the tree that contains the project and Vault will retrieve that project and create the necessary source control bindings.

If that doesn't work, the project may not have been added properly with the Vault GUI Client. I would suggest deleting the project's files from Vault and starting over. This time, add the project from Visual Basic, following the steps in item #1, above. This should ensure everything is in the proper location in the Vault repository.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

jwebster

Post by jwebster » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:25 am

And so it goes...

Linda,

When following the instructions listed in the previous reply I open a project on my hard-drive, tools, sourcegear vault, add project to source gear vault and I get a message saying Visual Basic has encountered a problem and needs to close, then the vb 6 environment shuts down!!! Not good! Please help me with this.

Further Info

VB6
Using vault client on desktop 3.1.5
Jim Webster

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:14 pm

Please email me at linda at SourceGear.com and include your phone number so I can give you a call.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear