Merge branches attempt to checkout files failed!

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

mlippert

Merge branches attempt to checkout files failed!

Post by mlippert » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:31 pm

This is getting aggravating. (almost forgot, I'm using 3.1.6 server and client)

I've spent almost 5 hours now trying to get through the Merge Branches Wizard.

This is my 2nd attempt where I got to this point and got the error message "Attempt to checkout files failed.".

I have no idea why it failed, it just sat there for almost 30 minutes after I clicked on that last next button with no progress indication or log of what file it was attempting to check out, and then I got the message that it had failed.

Clicking next on that failed page gives me a summary that says nothing useful (it just lists the origin and target folders and says no changes were made).

Clicking on finish, and I see a whole lot of files checked out but Unmodified in my Pending Change Set tab (I don't know how many because there's no statusbar indication of the number selected when I select them all, and I don't feel like paging through and counting them).

Prior to my 2nd attempt I used the Search pane to see if there were any exclusive checkouts in the Target folder, but there weren't (there were some checkouts, but they weren't exclusive).

I'd estimate it took me about an hour, or a bit over, from when I started the Merge Branches Wizard the 2nd time until I got the failed to checkout message.

So where do I go from here? I really need to get this merge done, and I was already anticipating that conflict resolution was going to take most of tomorrow, and possibly longer.

And of course I've already had to commit moves and renames to the target.

Mike

ps I had other issues earlier that made me abort the wizard and ate up the rest of the time I've spent on this today. Namely the rename step kept failing and referred me to the Messages pane which I couldn't see until I aborted, and the wizard wouldn't actually recognize that I requested to cancel until it had retrieved all 4000+ files.

I'm heading home now, and I'm hoping to see some advice in response when I get in tomorrow morning.

ericsink

Post by ericsink » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:08 am

I'm heading home now, and I'm hoping to see some advice in response when I get in tomorrow morning.
I would very much like to give you the magic advice to quickly get you past your problem, however the key sentence in your note is this one:
I have no idea why it failed
To move forward, we have to find out why it failed. Anything in the log file?

It pains me to send back a content-free response like this one, but until we know why it failed, I don't have much else to offer. :(
Eric Sink
Software Craftsman
SourceGear

mlippert

Post by mlippert » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:38 am

Eric,
In many ways that was my point. Merge branches should really be giving more information, so that I know what's going on as it sits there, and so that when it fails I have some hope of knowing why.

I looked at the server log file, but it's set to quiet logging and there wasn't any useful information there. I just looked for a client log file, but logging is not enabled and so there isn't one (at least I can't find one).

So what do I do to enable appropriate logging for this problem, so we can figure out what failed? Let me know, and I'll set it up and then run through the merge process again.

Thanks,
Mike

ericsink

Post by ericsink » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:22 pm

mlippert wrote:
Eric,
In many ways that was my point. Merge branches should really be giving more information, so that I know what's going on as it sits there, and so that when it fails I have some hope of knowing why.

I looked at the server log file, but it's set to quiet logging and there wasn't any useful information there. I just looked for a client log file, but logging is not enabled and so there isn't one (at least I can't find one).

So what do I do to enable appropriate logging for this problem, so we can figure out what failed? Let me know, and I'll set it up and then run through the merge process again.

Thanks,
Mike
Point taken. These notes help me as I design/implement merge branches for the next release. But we also need to help you get past your current problem.

Turn the server log to debug. That should help.

As for the client log, see this KB article first:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=1534

for ClassesToLog, I'd just turn on "all". You'll get a firehose of information, but it's often helpful to have it all.
Eric Sink
Software Craftsman
SourceGear

mlippert

Post by mlippert » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:35 pm

Thanks. Mostly that's why I let you know of these issues. I know I had mentioned the lack of information while merging before and so unfortunately when I ran into it again it was frustrating me so I expressed myself a little strongly.

Since I hadn't heard back from you on what debug settings to use, I figured I'd set the ClassesToLog to all and start the process so possibly I'd have more information by the time I did hear from you. I didn't turn on the Server log because I'd have to bounce the server to do that, and I wasn't sure you'd need it.

Anyway the Checking out process started around 2:10 my time (it's now 4:30) and it's still going. The client log file is up to 348,931KB. I'll email you or post back when it finishes.

Mike

update: it's 6:15 and still going, the log file is now 590,953KB
update2: it's 8:35 and still going, the log file is now 933,309KB and I'm heading home for the weekend, hopefully it will finish before Monday and won't fill the remaining 2GB on my C: drive.
update3:I just got in and the merge "attempt to checkout files failed". The log file timestamp was 9:54 (on the day I started, friday) and is now 1,132,408KB.

mlippert

Post by mlippert » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:56 am

OK, well I used tail to check out the end of the client log file but didn't see anything indicating a problem. I've zipped the log file so it's only 58MB, can I get it to you somehow?

the last lines look like:

Code: Select all

1/13/2006 9:54:40 PM <checkoutlist>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:3708] 	FileID 219861:
1/13/2006 9:54:40 PM <checkoutlist>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:3708] 		Path $/MxxxxxxCxxxxx/xxxxxxx_xxx/UxxxxxxAxx/xxxxx/Ixxxxxxx/MxxxxxxCxxxxxIxxxxxx/Mxxxxxx 14/Sxxxxx Fxxxx/Setup.rul, User MLippert, LockType 2, Hostname kxxxxxxx/mxxxxxxx.com, LocalPath E:\Pxxxxxxx\UxxxxxxAxx\xxxxx\Ixxxxxxx\MxxxxxxCxxxxxIxxxxxx\Mxxxxxx 14\Sxxxxx Fxxxx\Setup.rul, LockedWhen 1/13/2006 9:53:53 PM, MiscInfo 
1/13/2006 9:54:40 PM <checkoutlist>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:3708] 	FileID 219862:
1/13/2006 9:54:40 PM <checkoutlist>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:3708] 		Path $/MxxxxxxCxxxxx/xxxxxxx_xxx/UxxxxxxAxx/xxxxx/Ixxxxxxx/MxxxxxxCxxxxxIxxxxxx/Mxxxxxx 14/Sxxxxx Fxxxx/Setup.dbg, User MLippert, LockType 2, Hostname kxxxxxxx/mxxxxxxx.com, LocalPath E:\Pxxxxxxx\UxxxxxxAxx\xxxxx\Ixxxxxxx\MxxxxxxCxxxxxIxxxxxx\Mxxxxxx 14\Sxxxxx Fxxxx\Setup.dbg, LockedWhen 1/13/2006 9:54:16 PM, MiscInfo 
1/13/2006 9:54:40 PM <checkoutlist>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:3708] RefreshCheckOutList finished
1/13/2006 9:54:40 PM <get>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:3708] ProcessGetFileRequests started
1/13/2006 9:54:40 PM <get>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:3708] ProcessGetFileRequests finished
1/16/2006 11:31:18 AM <refresh>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:3708] Refresh started
1/16/2006 11:31:18 AM <refresh>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:3708] delta passed in was null, retrieving one
1/16/2006 11:31:18 AM <refresh>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:3708] calling GetRepositoryStructure(1, 145624, -1, ref, 11/23/2005 10:56:53 AM)
The lines from 1/16 are when I got in today and clicked on Next on the Wizard page telling me that the checkout attempt had failed.

Mike

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:54 pm

You can anonymously upload the file to ftp.sourcegear.com. Place the file in the /incoming directory, and then send me an email of the file's name. You can use the email link below.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

mlippert

Post by mlippert » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:33 pm

Thanks Linda,
I've done that and Eric got it. We're still not sure what's causing the problem. Eric suggested that I try to break the merge up (ie fewer changesets at once), so I'm going to give that a try tomorrow.

Mike

mlippert

Post by mlippert » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:37 pm

I just realized I hadn't posted a followup to the successful resolution of my problem.

After much back and forth w/ Eric (and a special build with additional logging) we figured out that the problem was a shared file being changed in multiple places. The merge branches was attempting to check it out in both places, and that's not possible.

I'm fairly sure that 3.1.7 fixed this problem. In addition if you doing merges, definitely use the 3.1.7 client, it is hugely faster at doing that final checkout.

I'd just like to say, it took several days to figure this out, but SourceGear support rocks! Thank you Eric. :D

Mike