Weird error message

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

bill.turk

Weird error message

Post by bill.turk » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:01 am

We are on version 3.1.5.

Everyone gets the following message when trying to connect to a repository (actually its after you get the message "Retrieving repository structure..." on the status bar):

FileStream was asked to open a device that was not a file. FileStream's constructors that take a String will only work with devices that are really files. If you need support for devices like "com1:" or "lpt1:", then call CreateFile yourself then use the FileStream constructors that take an OS handle as an IntPtr.

On clicking ok, we get connected to the repository and are able to browse the folder tree. I am even able to get latest version, checkout and undo checkout.

Within the same session, if I try to connect to a different repository, I get the same error message, and then the folder tree does not refresh. Even if I disconnect frmo the server, and reconnect to the server, whatever repository I connect to, the folder tree is always that of the first repository I connect to on starting up the client. If I close the client and reopen, I am able to connect to a different repository. This way I am able to connect to all of our repositories.

TIA,
Prasanna.
Attachments
sgvault.txt
Latest log
(37.86 KiB) Downloaded 914 times

dan

Post by dan » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:10 am

Did this start happening after an upgrade or a configuration change to the server machine?

Also, there are a number of SQL timeout errors in the log. Do the datetimes of those messages match the datetime when you are getting the errors?

bill.turk

Post by bill.turk » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:17 am

My sysad assures me there have been no changes/upgrades/reboots in the last few days. The first time we saw this message was this morning, and its not sporadic, the message appears every single time.

Someone reported that checkins are failing -- so I tired one. Here are the messages from the client:

[2/1/2006 10:14:34 AM] Version Check: This Vault client is version 3.1.5.3546
[2/1/2006 10:14:34 AM] Version Check: Your Vault server is version 3.1.5.3546
[2/1/2006 10:14:34 AM] Version Check: The following information was retrieved from the SourceGear website. No information was sent to SourceGear. You can disable this part of the version check from the Options dialog.
[2/1/2006 10:14:34 AM] Version Check: The most recent Vault release is version 3.1.7.3719
[2/1/2006 10:16:21 AM] Checking out file $/Virtual Pipeline Manager/.../Databases/Server.mdb
[2/1/2006 10:16:21 AM] Checked out file $/Virtual Pipeline Manager/.../Databases/Server.mdb
[2/1/2006 10:16:46 AM] Preparing data to begin transaction
[2/1/2006 10:16:46 AM] Beginning transaction
[2/1/2006 10:16:46 AM] Check in $/Virtual Pipeline Manager/.../Databases/Server.mdb
[2/1/2006 10:16:47 AM] Upload for item $/Virtual Pipeline Manager/.../Databases/Server.mdb failed, retrying...
[2/1/2006 10:16:47 AM] Upload for item $/Virtual Pipeline Manager/.../Databases/Server.mdb failed, retrying...
[2/1/2006 10:16:47 AM] Ending the transaction
[2/1/2006 10:16:47 AM] Upload for item $/Virtual Pipeline Manager/.../Databases/Server.mdb failed too many times, aborting transaction.
Please verify your network settings using the Options dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client.
The specific error was "The server had an error processing the file upload but did not return an error header. The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error."
An exception was encountered during the transaction. Exception: The server had an error processing the file upload but did not return an error header. The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error. at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.UploadItem(ChangeSetItem item, String txID, Byte[]& streamBuffer, Int32& bytesWrittenThisFile, Boolean bIsImport)
at VaultClientOperationsLib.UploadThread.ProcessCommand(UploadThreadCommand command, UploadThreadCommandResult& outputResult)
[2/1/2006 10:16:47 AM] Transaction failed
[2/1/2006 10:16:47 AM] Transaction failed

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:43 am

Let's take a look at some of the server log messages:

The error "GetRepositoryTreeDelta" can be an indication of SQL Server maintenance. Has any maintenance been performed on the database? Note, SQL Server's maintenance routines will not work, the corresponding DBCC commands must be used - Maintenance: The Vault Server database

Also, you may want to increase the SQL Command Timeout used to communicate to the Vault server. Upon startup, the Vault server looks at the value in vault.config for SqlCommandTimeout. The default is 360 (6 minutes). Try increasing it to 900 (15 minutes). After the change, when you can restart the server, run iisreset.exe on the Vault server.

After that, let's take a look at the upload. What is the size of the Server.mdb file? What is your setting for Vault uploads in the Admin Tool? How much installed memory is found in the Vault server?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

bill.turk

Post by bill.turk » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:52 am

Jeff,

Server.mdb is a 236 KB file. All of our operations were working fine until last evening. We have had this problem crop up just this morning out of nowhere. Routine backup is performed (and has been for the past 2 years) on the Vault server. I have attached a screeshot of the vault server's system properties screen. If there is anything more specific you want me to get, please let me know (BTW, the sgvault.log hasn't been modified since 6:08 PM yesterday!)

Prasanna.
Attachments
Vault Machine.GIF
Vault machine
Vault Machine.GIF (16.28 KiB) Viewed 10873 times

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:00 am

bill.turk wrote:Routine backup is performed (and has been for the past 2 years) on the Vault server.
The database maintenance I was referring to is not a backup, but actual commands which helps SQL Server determine faster ways to access the database.

Did you do the change to vault.config and restart with iisreset.exe?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

bill.turk

Post by bill.turk » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:17 am

I did just now, and it seems like VaultService doesn't like to start up anymore. We have another web service running on the same server that talks to SQL and I can connect to it no problem. Here is the message from the client now.
--
Unable to connect to http://marge/VaultService. No server was found at the specified URL. Please verify your network settings using the Options dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client. Web Exception: Client found response content type of 'text/html', but expected 'text/xml'.
The request failed with the error message:
--
<html>
<head>
<title>Server Unavailable
</title>
</head>
<body>
<h1><font face=Verdana color=#ff3300>Server Application Unavailable
</font></h1>
<p>
<font face=Verdana>
The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable.&nbsp; Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your request.
</p>
<p>
<b>Administrator Note:
</b> An error message detailing the cause of this specific request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server. Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.
</p>
</body>
</html>

bill.turk

Post by bill.turk » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:17 am

BTW, still no updates to sgvault.log.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:19 am

Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

bill.turk

Post by bill.turk » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:20 am

Already did, same response (except for the first page, which gives a bunch of standard text and links)

Server Application Unavailable

The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your request.

Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server. Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:24 am

Can you post the text of the VaultService.asmx page?

Also, take a look at the Windows Event Viewer. Inspect both the System and Application events. Anything relevant to the problem?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:25 am

From your description, its like the virtual directory's application has been wiped clean.

Deleting / recreating the Virtual Directory within IIS may help.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

bill.turk

Post by bill.turk » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:29 am

Jeff,

Thanks for that tip -- we found the problem. We have a security agent that got updated last night and is not tuned to allow vault services. So, it was preventing all sorts of actions. I stopped it and now everything is back to normal.

Thanks again,
Prasanna.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:38 am

Glad to help. Do you happen to know which agent was updated? There is another user in the Gold forum which might be having the same issue?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear