New keyword vote

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

James Jeffers

New keyword vote

Post by James Jeffers » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:04 pm

I would like to add my vote for $Label$ keyword.

mlippert

Post by mlippert » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:34 pm

James,
Can you tell me exactly how a $label$ keyword would work? In other words where does its expanded value come from when you check-in (which is when keywords are currently expanded, although I think it would make more sense to expand them on get).

I don't think I've ever applied a label to a single file, although that is possible, usually I apply the label as high up the hierarchy as makes sense, that is frequently at the root of the build tree, but sometimes to the root of a particular module within a tree.

Also we also use labels for different purposes. Our nightly build creates a label, developer's also create labels to mark a merge point or pre-merge point or significant check-in.

So given all of these possible labels, which one should be in the expanded keyword. The $label$ keyword would only be expanded on a check-in that is creating a new version of the file. That new version by definition can't have a label applied to it yet (since any existing labels would have been applied to previous versions of the file).

I'm just curious as to what you had in mind,
Mike

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:38 pm

Inquiring SourceGear minds would like to know, too. :)
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

James Jeffers

Post by James Jeffers » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:19 am

I guess what I'm really getting at is a way to uniquely identify a set of files that we've extracted from the datbase.

$label$ might be one way - and I'd only be interested in its expansion on checkout.