Including referenced DLL's in bin folder

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Waylander1970

Including referenced DLL's in bin folder

Post by Waylander1970 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:48 am

Hi,

My project has references to Microsoft Enterprise Library which I would like to include in the Bin folder and also the source control system so that when the app is built from CruiseControl, it has all the references required.

Is this the best approach and does anyone have any guidance on actually doing this? I've tried, but I'm stumped.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

dan

Post by dan » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:05 pm

Can you describe the exact problem you are having, and the steps to reproduce it?

Is the problem that the dll is not being included when adding the project to source control?

Waylander1970

Post by Waylander1970 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:35 am

Well, I just have a normal .CS project and there are references to the MS entlib DLL's. The references are compiled and deployed OK with the project, but when I check them out from source control on another machine they are not there.

Obviously they are not in source control and I can place them in there manually, but I'd rather have them placed in the project so that when I build on the new system, the references refer to valid locations.

Does that make sense?

Ryan

dan

Post by dan » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:18 am

You can only put files under source control that exist within the project root, and references don't actually exist in the project source unless you copy them there.

One workaround would be to copy the dll to a location within the project and explicitly add the dll file to project. VS will then recognize it as a file that goes into source control, and it should then be available for projects on any other workstation.

Waylander1970

Post by Waylander1970 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:31 am

Good idea, thanks!

mitch.wheat

Post by mitch.wheat » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:44 pm

It's a good idea to create a 'References' folder under the solution root, and reference from there (they will be automatically pulled into tyhe bin folder by Visual Studio if they change), and add that folder to version control.