Feature request: Text Search in DiffMerge

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

TonyAtMMI

Feature request: Text Search in DiffMerge

Post by TonyAtMMI » Tue May 09, 2006 4:21 am

Please add this feature ASAP.

SourceSafe has this feature and I found it VERY useful. It should be quite simple to implement.

Is there any chance of this feature appearing in the next release (which I presume will be 3.5)? If so approximately when do you hope to release it?

Thanks,

Tony

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue May 09, 2006 7:43 am

I'll add a feature request for this functionality. It won't be in Vault 3.5, though. It will be considered for Vault 4.0. In the meantime, you could configure a different Diff tool that has search capabilities.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

TonyAtMMI

Post by TonyAtMMI » Wed May 17, 2006 3:00 am

Thanks Linda.

Do you know of any Diff that would integrate with the Vault repository?

All Diff tools that I know of would require me to get the latest version out of the repository to another folder on my hard disk before doing the comparison.

Implementing a basic text search feature should only take a few simple lines of code (surely less than half a day's work?).

Apart from this missing feature, Sourcegear DiffMerge is much better than most other utilities that I have tried.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed May 17, 2006 8:29 am

Do you know of any Diff that would integrate with the Vault repository?
We're not aware of any.

We do have this on our to-do list, though as I mentioned, it won't be in Vault 3.5.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

GregM

Post by GregM » Wed May 17, 2006 8:58 am

We use BeyondCompare (www.scootersoftware.com), and it integrates in exactly the same way as the SourceGear DiffMerge utility. It doesn't do merging, though, so we still use SGDM for that.

mlippert

Post by mlippert » Wed May 17, 2006 1:01 pm

I just want to re-iterate what Greg said. We use BeyondCompare here as well. The integration is great. I personally like the way it presents the diff better than SGDM, and wish it had merge capabilities.

Also, there are no manual steps (such as getting "the latest version out of the repository to another folder") needed. Just set the options in Vault to use BeyondCompare and then any diff you request will be displayed by BeyondCompare. The respective windows are even correctly labeled with the versions you are comparing.

Mike

The 1 issue I've run into w/ BeyondCompare (which SGDM also has) is that it doesn't provide any indication that 2 files are different if they only differ in encoding (ie 1 is ANSI, 1 is Unicode [UTF-16 or UTF-8] ), or if 1 has a BOM and 1 doesn't. I keep meaning to file a feature request for this, but I haven't yet.