Session Time out error on Vault Client

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

IntelWiings

Session Time out error on Vault Client

Post by IntelWiings » Wed May 10, 2006 3:02 pm

We are currently experiencing problems with the Vault Client application.
Here is some detail information :

Vault Version
1. Client is version 3.1.8
2. Server is version 3.1.8

Enviroment
1. Server OS : Server 2003 SP1
2. IIS Version : 6
3. SQL Server Version : SQL Server 2000 Enterprise edition.
4. Client Machines : Windows XP SP2

Problem description
Intermediate problem when users attempt to log into Vault via the Vault client they will sometime be rejected after selecting a repository. The error message returned is “Session is no longer valid. Either the server restarted, or our session timed out. You may need to login again to re-authenticate”.
When the user receives this message they are no longer able to select this repository without getting this messages until one of the steps listed below is performed.
There are a number of curious points about this problem that may be of interest.
1. User may experience no problems for a very long time, but once the problem begins, it will consistently occur until one of the actions listed below to correct the problem is performed.
2. Actions listed below to correct the problem works sometimes, and sometimes don’t, does not seem to be any consistent pattern to what is required to get the account to work.
3. The problem appears to be Repository specific, meaning that even if the user is getting the error in one repository they may still be able to access other repositories, although these other repositories.
4. Sometimes the behavior is machine specific, meaning the user may not be able to access one repository on one machine, but able to access the same repository on another machine.
5. Our counter parts in Malaysia seem to be experiencing the problem more often then we are, not sure if this is because the servers are located in USA or not, but we still experience the same problem in the US.

Fixes (that may or may-not work)
The listed actions below will sometimes resolve the problem the user is experiencing(for a while), other times performing all of the listed steps below still does not fix the problem:
1. restart IIS
2. recycle SQL Server
3. Reboot the server

I have reviewed your online help, and discussions and tried to ensure my IIS settings are as you recommend on your website, but the problem still persist.

I have attached the following documents that I hope may help you troubleshoot the problem.

1. SessionError.gif – The error that is displayed after the client selects the repository.
2. VaultGUIClient.txt – The error log from the Vault Client.
3. IIS_Settings_01.gif to IIS_Settings_07.gif – Screen shots of the settings in IIS for the Vault Server
4. ClientNetworkSettings_01.gif – The network settings in the Options page of Vault Client.
5. Registry_ClientLogFile.gif – The settings in the Client registry for creating a log file. This does not seem to work, please let me know what is wrong with this entry.

I don’t know where to go from here, and hope you can help resolve our problems.

Thanks
James Yoder
Attachments
VaultSessionIssue.zip
Attachements for troubleshooting issue.
(199.12 KiB) Downloaded 586 times

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed May 10, 2006 3:29 pm

According to the screenshots, IIS is not set to recycle, so that's ruled out. I'd like to see a copy of the Vault server log (or logs) that cover the time period of some of these session disconnects. You can email it to Linda at sourcegear.com or post it here if there's no confidential information in it.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

IntelWiings

Here is the server log file

Post by IntelWiings » Thu May 11, 2006 8:58 am

I have attached a copy of the server log file.
Attachments
sgvault.zip
(731 Bytes) Downloaded 556 times

dan

Post by dan » Mon May 15, 2006 9:29 am

The logs indicate the client is having trouble downloading the repository structure, which in this user's case is a compressed file.

IIS 6 on Win2K3 sometimes will send a different session token to our client on a very fast download. The Vault client interprets this as an invalid session, and bombs out.

There are two possible workarounds, and hopefully one of them will work for you:

1. Turn off keep-alives in IIS. Go to the properties of the Vault website and go to the Web Site tab. There is a checkbox there to disable HTTP keep-alives.

2. Put IIS 6.0 in to IIS 5.0 isolation mode. This will apply to all services running on IIS, but should ensure that Vault runs properly.

Let us know if either or both of those work.