Open from Source Control shows as new files

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

bshelden

Open from Source Control shows as new files

Post by bshelden » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:20 pm

I have an SSIS project in Vault ($OSI\SSIS\DTS Migrations\DTS Migrations.dtproj) and all of its associated files are in the same folder.

With the working directory empty, I create a blank solution and select File->Source Control->Add Project From Source Control and select the project.

The project appears in the solution explorer, but the project and all of the files show as "newly added file".

The working directory now contains the .dtproj, dtproj.user, ftproj.vspscc, and .database files, but none of the 7 .dtsx files.

I go through this same process for web and other .NET projects without any issues.

What have I done???

dan

Post by dan » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:07 pm

I followed these steps on a sample SSIS project, and it seemed to work fine. Is the working folder defined in Vault for the user name who did the Add From SCC where you expect it to be?

You might try this from as a different user or from a different machine and see if the problem is related to a user or a machine config.

bshelden

Post by bshelden » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:57 pm

I have double checked the workign folder settings in my Vault client as well as the properties on the files in solution explorer and they are correct.

Is the users working folder information stored with the files?

I'm not sure what I would be testing by setting up a new user and going through the same steps.

dan

Post by dan » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:35 pm

The working folder info is stored in the client cache on the local machine, in docs & settings.

Trying it on a different machine would help determine whether the problem is related to the project itself, or with the user account/state or machine configuration.

bshelden

Post by bshelden » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:50 pm

I tried it on three different machines. All three showed the files as "newly added" and two of them showed the .dtsx files in a sub-folder of where they should be.

dan

Post by dan » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:18 pm

OK, I need to be able to reproduce this here to see what is going on. Here's what I did:

1. Created a new sample SSIS project and added a few .dtsx files to it.
2. Added the new project to source control
3. Exited and re-invoked VS
4. Created a new blank solution in a new working folder
5. Went to Source Control->Add Project From Source Control
6. Selected the folder with the .dtproj
7. Changed the working folder for this project to the folder where the solution file is.

Can you run through these steps on a new sample project and see if they work for you? If they do, then there is something about your project setup that I need to reproduce here. Is it possible to send me the project so I can try it here?

bshelden

Post by bshelden » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:13 pm

I'm not sure I understand what you want me to do in step 7.

I did notice a few new tidbits of inormation:

I saw that the working folder was no loger inherited in Vault
I changed it to be inherited
I added the project to a blank solution and then it was no longer inherited
Once I quite VS, a sub-folder appeard in Vault

dan

Post by dan » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:46 am

Step 7 is still in the "Create local project from Vault" dialog where you select the folder in Folder that contains the .dtproj file. There is a text box labelled "Create new project in working folder:", that allows you to change the working folder for the dtproj. Make sure that textbox contains the folder your solution is in.

I noticed that in the sample project I created, VS 2005 creates a subfolder for the project files, and the solution file is one folder up. For example:

$/test/Integration Services Project 1/Integration Services Project 1.sln

and

$/test/Integration Services Project 1/Integration Services Project 1/Integration Services Project 1.dtproj

When you add from source control, make sure you select the subfolder with the .dtproj in it.

Have you tried this with a sample project, or are you still using your project?

Let's try this with more level of detail. Post here the exact steps (with the exact commands, users, locations, etc) you are taking to reproduce this on a project I can create here.

Thanks,

dan

Post by dan » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:39 am

After digging around some more without luck, Brian eventually re-created the project file outside of source control, checked it in, then opened from source control and re-binded the project in Change Source Control. After that, everything seemed to work fine.

bshelden

Post by bshelden » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:46 am

Many thanks to Dan for his patience with what probabaly isn't a Vault issue!