Diff utilities

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Jadams

Diff utilities

Post by Jadams » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:10 am

Can Vault output diffs to a file so that it can be reapplied on another pc?

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:35 pm

The Diff Utility has a "Save As" functionality listed under File, which will allow you to save the output displayed on your screen to a file.

Tonya Nunn
SourceGear

Jadams

Post by Jadams » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:50 am

From what I can see, it only allows saving of whole files and not the differences between the files.

Is this correct?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:16 am

That's correct. SGDiffMerge does not currently save a view or report of the differences. We do have this logged as a feature request for a future release.

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=5970

In the meantime you could configure a different diff/merge tool that has reporting capabilities in the GUI Client under Tools->Options->Diff/Merge.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Jadams

Post by Jadams » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:42 am

When will this feature request be addressed?

Do you have a list of applications which actually work with Vault and will output the differences?

I have to admit that I am quite dissapointed. To me, outputing differences is a key piece of functionality.

Jadams

Post by Jadams » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:57 am

Also, if I create a patch (using a third party diff tool) does vault offer an API to apply the diff to the repository version?

for example, with CVS I can take the diff I have created and apply this to the version in the repository.

Does Vault offer a similar level of functionality?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:54 pm

When will this feature request be addressed?
We don't have a specific timeline as yet, but if it is implemented it would probably be next year.
Do you have a list of applications which actually work with Vault and will output the differences?
We don't have any specific recommendations, but if you do an Internet search on "Diff tool report" you should be able to find an app that will work.

Vault does have a client API that you can use to customize Vault operations to meet your needs. It's available from our Downloads page.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

GregM

Post by GregM » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:21 pm

I haven't tried it, but Beyond Compare (www.scootersoftware.com) can output "patch" format: normal diff, context diff, unified diff, or "BC Classic". If you get the GNU UnixUtils for Windows, you should be able to use the "patch.exe" program to apply that patch.

mitch.wheat

Post by mitch.wheat » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:10 pm

Have you looked at the Araxis Merge/Diff tool? It's very good.