Error uploading a large file into vault (~380MB)

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

bsihsv

Error uploading a large file into vault (~380MB)

Post by bsihsv » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:50 am

I am trying to upload/check-in a rather large file into Vault version 3.5.4741 and I am getting the following error:

"VaultFileUpload.aspx encountered: an exception while opening up the request's input stream: Exception of type System.OutOfMemoryException was thrown."

I have updated the Vault server settings to allow larger files to be uploaded (1048576 KB) and I have also adjusted the ASP script timeout for IIS to be 500 seconds. Any ideas how to get a file this large (or maybe larger in the future) to properly get into Vault?

Thanks,
Keith

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:19 am

Usually this kind of thing happens when one doesn't have enough RAM on the server. My first suggestin would be to really increase your RAM.

Thanks

bsihsv

Post by bsihsv » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:22 am

Our server currently has 4 GB of RAM installed. How much more would be needed? I would imagine that 4GB would be enough to handle this kind of operation.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:50 am

That's fine then.

Some other things to check:
What amount of memory is the ASP.NET process consuming (in task manager)? In IIS5 the process is called aspnet_wp.exe and in IIS6 it's called w3wp.exe.

What is the value of the TreeManagerSize in vault.config?

bsihsv

Post by bsihsv » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:03 am

I have a few things to report, but I will start with answering your questions:

1. I looked in the task manager but did not see either of the ".exe" files that you mentioned. I am in the process of importing some other files to Vault currently...maybe that is why? We have Server 2003 with IIS 6.

2. The TreeManagerSize is set to -1 right now in the vault config. What does that setting do and what does -1 mean?

As for my other information: The file that was large (380 MB) that I was trying to get into Vault eventually did go in to Vault. It failed twice with the error mentioned above and then was accepted the third attempt. I am not sure why, but it is in there now.

My situation is that I have about a total of 45GB worth of data files (binary and text) that need to get into Vault. None of the files are extremely huge in comparison to the complete data set (I think the largest might be 600MB). What is the best way to get these into Vault? How large should I make the groups of folders I drag into Vault at a time for a transaction? I guess you could say I am testing the limits of our vault server. :) Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Keith

bsihsv

Post by bsihsv » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:22 am

As an added note, I did find the "w3wp.exe" in the task manager (sorry about that) and it says the memory usage is 200MB with 0 CPU usage currently.

I also have hit some more files in my importing that I have hit the "System.OutOfMemoryException" error on...so I don't appear to have corrected my problems just yet.

bsihsv

Post by bsihsv » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:08 pm

Another additional note is that after quite a bit of uploading files into VAULT I started to get more errors and when I looked at the task manager for memory usage I saw that SQL Server had 1.7GB of RAM and the "w3wp.exe" had 1.5GB of RAM. Any ideas? Did it not release RAM after a failed transaction?

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:59 am

What errors were logged? Can you send the Vault Server Log? ( Contact me by the email link below )

What type of activity is going on during the upload failure? Number of users? Types of operations? etc.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear