Object reference error during Import

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

jdavidi

Post by jdavidi » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:34 am

My PMs have gone unanswered for a couple weeks now; does ANYONE have a status update for me yet? (Have you been able to reproduce the problem, had a chance to look at it yet, have any new advice?)

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:26 am

We disabled private messages a couple weeks ago because users were getting spammed.

I emailed you via our call tracking system on Dec. 18 -- perhaps a spam filter got it?

Here's the response:

I was able to reproduce the Checksum errors when trying to import the VSS database into an existing repository. The VSS database imported into a new repository with no problems.

However I *was* able to export the imported VSS database from the Vault repository, then import it into CostGuard with no errors. I also was able to import your InfoDirKit351.vfe into the CostGuard_KIts_5x_8x and CostGuard repositories with no errors.

We're still not sure on what's causing the checksum errors.

Some thoughts:

I did the import with the Vault Client and Export\Import tool on the same machine as the Vault Server, and used "localhost" for the Vault server name. This bypasses any network issues.

Also, I noted that you had two deleted "InfoDirections" folders in the Obliterate tab of the Vault Admin tool. I deleted these before I did the Folder Import.

I'd suggest obliterating your deleted InfoDirections folders, then restart IIS. Install a Vault Client on the Vault Server machine and try to import your .vfe file there, connecting to the Vault Server using localhost.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

jdavidi

Post by jdavidi » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:01 am

Hi Linda,

Thanks for the reply (sorry our messages missed each other--there wasn't anything on our spam server either).
The VSS database imported into a new repository with no problems.

However I *was* able to export the imported VSS database from the Vault repository, then import it into CostGuard with no errors. I also was able to import your InfoDirKit351.vfe into the CostGuard_KIts_5x_8x and CostGuard repositories with no errors.
Just so I'm clear, if you could confirm that this is what you tried:

"CostGuard" is the existing repository.

Import of the VSS database to "CostGuard" produced checksum errors.

Import of the VSS database to new repository went fine.

Import from new repository into CostGuard (using the Import/Export tool?) went fine, meaning that a "middleman" Vault repository is a possible workaround when it comes to additional VSS data imports?
I also was able to import your InfoDirKit351.vfe into the CostGuard_KIts_5x_8x and CostGuard repositories with no errors.
Our Import/Export tool is on the same server as the Vault server, and I think I tried the localhost trick way back when, but I will do so again after obliterating everything in the scrap heap (those InfoDirections folders you found in the obliterate list were previous failed imports).

I'll do the obliterate/IIS restart this evening and play around with the InfoDirKit351.vfe again with the CostGuard repository (as localhost) and let you know. Thus far though I have not been able to import any *vfe file into any repository (which is what started this thread); the fact that you were able to do with so with our database and vfe file gives me hope though!

Thanks again,

--jdavidi

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:20 pm

CostGuard" is the existing repository.

Import of the VSS database to "CostGuard" produced checksum errors.

Import of the VSS database to new repository went fine.

Import from new repository into CostGuard (using the Import/Export tool?) went fine, meaning that a "middleman" Vault repository is a possible workaround when it comes to additional VSS data imports?
Yes, that's correct.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager