Getting only Changed Files

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

StephenJ

Getting only Changed Files

Post by StephenJ » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:59 pm

I am developing a web application that with image files, documentation, etc. has gotten quite large.

My current build process does the following:

1. labels the repository
2. gets the versions denoted by the label
3. zips the file
4. drops it in a directory on the server

That process is similar on our integration server, but more automated in deployment. When the test server code is determined to be production ready I go get the zip file from the daily builds that was FTPd to the production machine that matches the build number from test.

This is all well and good, but the files are getting larger and larger.

What I would *really* like to do is only get the files that changed from build X to build X-1.

Anyone know how to do this or have a pointer to the useful info in the help file?

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:43 am

Safe to assume you are using the command-line client, or are you performing these steps manually?

One possibility might be to perform a diff against the folder you pull to in order to identify the files that have changed.

Some people set up shadow folders to be where their live files are, but those are automatically updated every time there is a version change, so if someone uploads a problem file to Vault, it's suddenly live.

StephenJ

Post by StephenJ » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:20 pm

I'm using a program called Visual Build Pro. It uses the command line.

Any advice on how I can, in an automated manner, perform that diff?

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:02 am

The diff can be performed from the command line client or a script as well. Documentation on the commands can be found here: http://download.sourcegear.com/misc/vau ... nt/clc.htm