Importing a single SourceSafe project from a large database

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Lane

Importing a single SourceSafe project from a large database

Post by Lane » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:20 am

We have recently purchased Vault. We have a large SourceSafe database consisting of many projects. We want to import each project separately into its own repository in Vault.

In the import wizard, when I get to the Pre-Scan page, I see a list of Logged-in Users and the warning about not making any changes during the import.

I have removed all permissions for all users from the specific project. Is it okay to proceed with the import if users are working with other projects in the same database? Or do I need to keep users out of the entire database?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:14 pm

Code: Select all

Is it okay to proceed with the import if users are working with other projects in the same database?
I assume you mean the VSS database?

We haven't tried importing one VSS project while working in another. It *might work* but there's a good chance it won't and you'd have to start over. Best practice would be for no one to use the VSS database while importing.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Lane

Post by Lane » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:16 pm

Thanks. I've decided that the best approach is to archive the VSS project and restore it in its own database and then import that into Vault.