Refresh Status not working with VC 6.0

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

mattFleming

Refresh Status not working with VC 6.0

Post by mattFleming » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:47 pm

I am using Visual Studio 6.0 SP5 and have recently moved from SourceSafe to Vault. I have found that if I check out a file outside of Visual Studio then press Refresh Status within Visual Studio, Visual Studio does not show the file's new status. This feature worked when I used SourceSafe.

This is what I did:

1) Open a workspace that is found in Vault
2) Select a specific file
3) Verify that the files does not appear to be checked out with respect to Visual Studio.
4) Open Vault
5) Check out file from within Vault
6) Go back to Visual Studio and select the menu item: Project->Source Control->Refresh Status.
7) The system works for a second and nothing changes on the ui, the file still appears to be not checked out as far as Visual Studio knows

If you then shutdown Visual Studio and reopen the project the status of the file is correct and it appears checked out.

Matt Fleming

dan

Post by dan » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:20 am

The Refresh Status command doesn't hit the server to get the most recent Vault status - it merely looks in the local cache files to get the local status.

This was done intentionally, because the IDE calls the same API function for Refresh Status as it does to get the local file status, and hitting the server each time it is called (which is called early and often), would greatly reduce perfomance of the IDE in general.

However, you can invoke SourceGear Vault Properties on a file, which *will* hit the server for the latest status, and after that the state of the files in the IDE will be updated.