Renames, deletes and moves in VS2005 with Vault 4.0

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

christian

Renames, deletes and moves in VS2005 with Vault 4.0

Post by christian » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:36 am

I have a couple of questions regarding the VS2005 integration with the new vault 4.0. I am using the edit/merge/commit style.

1) If you rename, delete or move a class file (say) in VS2005 will a corresponding rename, delete, or move action be added to the pending change set?
2) Same question as above but this time for a folder?
3) If you perform a Rename refactoring on a class file (using Resharper) and you select to rename the class file to keep in synch with the new class name, will the vault integration be sophisticated enough so that you don't get a merge condition
4) Assuming that a rename, delete or move action is sent to vault, will this work transparently for shared files/folders?
5) On a checkin will this trigger / require the solution to be reloaded?

I'm holding back from installing Vault 4.0 until 4.0.1 comes out to fix some of the teething problems I've seen in these forums. Otherwise I would have tested these myself.

Thanks
Christian

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:09 pm

1) If you rename, delete or move a class file (say) in VS2005 will a corresponding rename, delete, or move action be added to the pending change set?
Yes
2) Same question as above but this time for a folder?
Are you referring to a folder added to a project, or a folder as it appears in the Vault GUI Client?

3) If you perform a Rename refactoring on a class file (using Resharper) and you select to rename the class file to keep in synch with the new class name, will the vault integration be sophisticated enough so that you don't get a merge condition
Yes.
4) Assuming that a rename, delete or move action is sent to vault, will this work transparently for shared files/folders?
Yes, deletes, renames and moves affect the share links.
5) On a checkin will this trigger / require the solution to be reloaded?
Maybe. When I tried these steps, it involved several checkins, but I was only prompted to reload once.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

christian

Post by christian » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:55 am

Are you referring to a folder added to a project, or a folder as it appears in the Vault GUI Client?
Let's make it a little more concrete an example. Suppose I have two c# projects in a single solution. I always keep the name of the project folder as it appears in the solution tree explorer in VS2005, the same as the physical folder name on the file system (and therefore the same name as the folder in vault). If I change the name of the folder I would like to see the folder on my file system keep in synch with the rename and a rename action to be issued to vault to synchronise vault with what's happened locally on the file system.

Having read my reply, I suspect this is not going to happen, as renaming a project folder in the IDE does not rename the physical folder on the file system for that project. Anyhow, can you please confirm what is the integration behaviour in this scenario?

Do you have a ballpark for the release date of 4.0.1 as I'm very keen to upgrade but am too reluctant to go with 4.0.

Thanks
Christian

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:09 pm

Changing the name of the folder in Vault doesn't change the name of the working folder on the file system. Changing the name of the folder on the file system makes the solution file "missing" as the working folder has changed. Changing the name of the solution doesn't change the name of the working folder.

However, if you change the name of the parent folder in Vault, then do a get latest, you can create a new working folder with the name of that parent folder.

Vault 4.0.1 should be released in the next few days.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager