Checkout context menu in 4.0 when using edit/merge/commit

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Macromullet

Checkout context menu in 4.0 when using edit/merge/commit

Post by Macromullet » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:41 am

Why is a checkout context menu item visible when using edit/merge/commit in VS 2005? Its kind of distracting. I'll never use it and it takes up extra context menu space. Is this a bug or by design? If by design is there a way to turn it off?

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:21 pm

I'm not sure I know which window you mean. Can you post a screenshot of what you see?

Macromullet

Post by Macromullet » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:00 pm

It's not a window. It's a context menu. If you have the visual studio .net 2005 integration enabled, and you right click on a source code file, like Foo.cs, you'll see the context menu. That context menu contains Checkout and it is not grayed, even when we are using edit/merge/commit mode.

Let me know if you still need a screenshot.

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:34 pm

I see what you are saying now. I am thinking that it's just a feature availability thing, so that users can work either way.

I can put in a feature request if you'd like.

Macromullet

Post by Macromullet » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:58 pm

I have looked in the vault client and I think I understand the logic behind the menu. In the vault client, the check out context menu item appears when you right click on an item in source control, even when you are in edit/merge/commit mode, so I imagine it exists in the vs.net 2005 integration for consistency.

I guess the difference is that in the vault client, I normally don't right click on items unless I need to view history, so my eyes typically look at the middle of the context menu.

Within the context of the vs.net 2005 context menu, I am constantly right-clicking on items to bring up the context menu, and the Check Out just stares at me, in part because it is the first enabled item in the list of vault operations, and combined with the fact that I never use it in edit/merge/commit mode it just seems out of place. I can see how it might be useful to do a checkout hypothetically, but in the context of day to day work, having it the first enabled item in the context menu seems.... off.

There are other items that are not available within the vs.net integration so it would be nice to not show this, as it definitely is not something I use day to day when in edit/merge/commit mode and I worry about accidentally clicking it every time I see it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I view the vs.net integration as a streamlined subset of operations that are most commonly used anyway, and checkout is definitely not commonly used when in edit/merge/commit mode. If i need to do it I can just fire up the vault client.

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:33 pm

I've made a note of this. Thanks for the feedback.