Doesnt work over internet now when on a different host name.

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

bluebsh

Doesnt work over internet now when on a different host name.

Post by bluebsh » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:53 am

In 3.5 we had our server set up like this

Internally our server was called "sourcecontrol" which was just a DNS Alias to a server called "Web" on which our Vault web service ran... this same webservice was exposed to the internet through our public dns host name which was intranet.ourdomain.com well... that worked fine! in 3.5..... now we upgraded to 4.0.1 and converted all our projects to VS2005's new provider for source control... go home to work on a project and try to open it from source control... I go in set the workstations VS2005 provider to VS2005 source control... go to open from vault... set the host as intranet.ourdomain.com it connects, returns the list of items on the server, i select our project's solution in the list, tell it to open.. it pops up with ANOTHER login screen that has the source gear logo on it asking me to log in again... but then I noticed it said the server i was logging into was sourcecontrol.ourdomain.com! which is NOT publically exposed to the internet as a host... just intranet.ourdomain.com... (both hosts point to the same site) so i figure wierd try to log in and of course it comes back saying cant resolve dns... why is the host name embedded into the project?! this doesnt seem like a good idea... so after that failed i had a partialy loaded solution... it loaded the solution file, but none of the projects under it.. they where all grayed out and said (unavailable) beside them... how do we fix this?! we cant get another host name just for source control... and it worked great in 3.5.x

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:15 am

Thanks for the detailed description. This is the second report we've had that the way we're storing binding information is causing problems for some folks. We're working on a fix.

In the mean time, I'd recommend that you add an entry to the hosts file on your home machine that maps the host name "sourcecontrol" to the appropriate IP. Will that work?
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

bluebsh

Post by bluebsh » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:19 am

it should work, ill try it later tonight

bluebsh

Post by bluebsh » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:45 am

alright, I'm about to rip my hair out... I absoutly can not work at home over this now... I tried the host name idea... but doesn't work... when the host name makes it back to our server it doesnt translate right because we are using host headers to tell what site on our web server to go to... it seems like when I set up a host file to translate it from sourcecontrol.domain.com to intranet.domain.com's ip when the web server gets it, it strips the host at this point for some reason... the web server is just getting the IP and going to the default site... which is blank... not sure if thats exactly whats going on, but it seems like it...

oh well.. so I figured ok, I'll just use our VPN, ok works fine! until....

I opened the project from the source control... got an error... cant determin bindings, then asked me to select the project from the source control... shouldn't it already know this?! I mean I opened it from the source control! it should know what project I opened... ok so did that set a working directory... it copied the project to my local system... working ok now, checked out a file worked with it... great I thought its working! did some work, went to check it in, right clicked on the project changed, got check in... boom.. "Invalid handle" message box poped up... it wont let me check it in! ugh I thought... ok try it in the vault client... tried it there... saw the list of checked out files... clicked to commit all... the list didnt change... ok wierd... told the folder to check in / commit... nothing... would not check in or commit the changes.... could someone look into this please? :cry:

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:51 am

Sorry this issue continues to haunt you. The good news is that we will support the notion of a "local override" for connection settings in a future release.

In the short term, if you could
turn on IDE logging and send me the log from when you're having these problems, I can better identify what's going on.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

bluebsh

Post by bluebsh » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:21 am

in 4.0.2 still doesn't work over a different host name externally through the internet... but it FINALLY works over the VPN correctly... yay! one of the two issues solved!