Search Vault by Bug

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Cynicszm

Search Vault by Bug

Post by Cynicszm » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:22 am

We are using Fogbugz and Vault integration to update checkins with the associated case.

I would like to search in Vault to find the checkin(s) for a bug(s) (Fogbugz case).

Is there anything in the Vault client that will allow me to do this?

Using Vault 3.5.2

davidt

Post by davidt » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:56 am

In the case of FogBugz, "integration" just means that Vault notifies FogBugz that file version X has been checked in against case Y. Vault of itself doesn't record which case the checkin was made for.

The easiest thing to do is to look at the case in FogBugz, which should tell you all the versions of all the files - then you can look at the specific file version in Vault.

You can do that in FogBugz, too, but clicking on the version number link takes you to the Vault web client, which you have to log into again, so that's a pain.
David Thompson
JELD-WEN, inc.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:26 am

Another place to check is to select that check-in from the History and then select View - Details. With Dragnet, it puts the bug in the Change Set Comment and it may be the same with FogBugz.

Cynicszm

Post by Cynicszm » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:55 am

Thank you both for your replies.

Beth - unfortunately the case is not added to the change set comments.

David - we have processes all developers should follow where a checkin is associated with only one case.

But occasionally :roll: a checkin fixes more than one case or more than one checkin is linked to a case.

In Fogbugz there is no way I know of to show all the cases a checkin fixes - and by the sounds of it there is no way of finding out the cases associated with checkins in Vault.

Can I add a feature request to add an extra field to store the bugs / cases associated with a checkin?

davidt

Post by davidt » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:07 am

When we were using VSS, we put

BugzID:bug1,bug2,bug3

in the checkin comments to let the VSS/FogBugz integration script know which bugs to update. We've carried that practice into Vault. If you did that, then once you had a given version of a file to look at (from FogBugz) you could see from the checkin comment the other cases affected.

Other than that, the only other way I can see is to run a SQL query against the CVS table in the FogBugz database to see all the bugs affected.
David Thompson
JELD-WEN, inc.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:49 pm

I'll go ahead and enter a feature request. Thanks for the feedback and being detailed about it.

Hmmm.... this might be a good time to throw in a little marketing for Fortress... :wink: It has a lot more capabilities with bug and task tracking tied to source control.

Cynicszm

Post by Cynicszm » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:06 am

David - thanks, that works! A select on the CVS and Bug tables gives the kind of info I am after.

Beth - I've had a quick look at Fortress and it doesn't seem to have the same kind of capabilities as Fogbugz (maybe in a future version :) )

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:01 pm

Also, when you mentioned entering "BugzID:bug1,bug2,bug3", I do know that when on enters a bug number upon check-in, you can enter multiple bugs separated by ';'. (I'm using Dragnet for the example here). Have you been able to do the same and at least associate it with multiple bugs?

Cynicszm

Post by Cynicszm » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:39 am

Yes we are able to associate a checkin with multiple bugs - we just cant find out when we've done it afterwards...