VS 2005 undo checkout setting with Vault 3.5.2

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

rlepard

VS 2005 undo checkout setting with Vault 3.5.2

Post by rlepard » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:41 am

I'm looking for a setting that will tell vault to warn me if I have a file that is changed then click undo checkout. Does one exist? I'm most concerned about using it in VS 2005

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:20 am

There isn't currently. You would have to look in Vault at the status and manually undo check out. You might want to consider using exclusive locks and requiring checkouts before editing. That way, if someone is making a file change, you'll know immediately.

I could make a feature request to view statuses in Visual Studio.

If we do a prevention of a checkout based on a particular status though, then it ends up being so close to an exclusive checkout that I'm not sure that portion would really be all the useful.

rlepard

Post by rlepard » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:10 am

Hi Beth -

We are using exclusive checkouts, so no one else should be allowed to change the file from under me. I do like the idea of being able to view statuses from within Visual Studio though.

The specific case that I'm strugging with now from within vstudio:

1. Checkout document
2. Make changes to document
3. Undo checkout to document
*** expect warning here that you have changed the document before it undoes the checkout and applies your selected overwrite/leave behavior.

I remember this warning from VSS and found it usefull as a way to quickly check to see if the file was modified since extracting from code control and also a way to prevent loss of work unintentionally.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Terence

Post by Terence » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:24 pm

There really isn't a way for what you're asking to happen automatically. However, you can check this manually by performing a diff against the file in the repository and the file you have on disk.

To do so, Right-Click the file you want to compare and from the Context Menu, select "Compare..."

Then, make sure you diff against the version currently in the repository.
Attachments
diff.jpg
diff.jpg (23.51 KiB) Viewed 5824 times
select.jpg
select.jpg (27.99 KiB) Viewed 5824 times