Major Vault 4.0x VS2005 client issues

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

isg

Major Vault 4.0x VS2005 client issues

Post by isg » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:38 am

Hi.

I am having major issues with the Vault 4.0.x VS2005 clients! Sometimes when working in parallel and two developers works on the same file changes are lost! This happens when developer one checks in the file, and deveveloper two gets latest, then the changes from developer two is not merged into developer twos file!

Could this be caused when running vault commands when a file is changed in memory but not on disk?

Also when will the need to do multiple get latest /refresh cycles to update file status in VS2005 be resolved?

GregM

Re: Major Vault 4.0x VS2005 client issues

Post by GregM » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:12 am

isg wrote:Could this be caused when running vault commands when a file is changed in memory but not on disk?
Yes, I've done this myself. I thought I had saved all my changes in the IDE before starting the get/merge, and ended up having to overwrite the changes I just merged in to not lose what I had in the editor.

isg

Post by isg » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:52 am

Is it possible to make the Vault Visual Studio save all changes before making any operations? This way we will no longer loose changes when somebody forgets to save the files before updating!

Also the problem with having to do multiple Get Latest from VS2005 before the file is actually updated. When will this be fixed?

One last thing. Would it be possible to have the Show history command show folder history by version in a tree like structure and have expand buttons if you want to see the individual update items? Like:

[+] Some commit string...
[-] Some older commit string...
|- File 1
|- File xxx
[+] Some even older commit string...
|- Some File

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:28 am

isg wrote:I am having major issues with the Vault 4.0.x VS2005 clients! Sometimes when working in parallel and two developers works on the same file changes are lost! This happens when developer one checks in the file, and deveveloper two gets latest, then the changes from developer two is not merged into developer twos file!
I responded to this one on your other thread.
isg wrote:Could this be caused when running vault commands when a file is changed in memory but not on disk?
It shouldn't be. Open files are always saved before a checkin/commit or a get latest.
isg wrote:Also when will the need to do multiple get latest /refresh cycles to update file status in VS2005 be resolved?
We've put a lot of work into this, and look forward to including it in the next maintenance release.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:31 am

isg wrote:Is it possible to make the Vault Visual Studio save all changes before making any operations? This way we will no longer loose changes when somebody forgets to save the files before updating!
This should be happening. If you're seeing different behavior, I'd like to know.
isg wrote:One last thing. Would it be possible to have the Show history command show folder history by version in a tree like structure and have expand buttons if you want to see the individual update items? Like:

[+] Some commit string...
[-] Some older commit string...
|- File 1
|- File xxx
[+] Some even older commit string...
|- Some File
An interesting idea. I've logged it for consideration in the future.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:34 am

GregM wrote:Yes, I've done this myself. I thought I had saved all my changes in the IDE before starting the get/merge, and ended up having to overwrite the changes I just merged in to not lose what I had in the editor.
For clarification, I think I remember you saying that you don't use IDE integration, Greg. Which would mean this was your fault. :) Is that right?
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

GregM

Post by GregM » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:26 am

Yes, I don't use the IDE integration, and this was entirely my own fault. Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough.