Vault 3.5.2 GUI client incredibly slow

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:52 am

What happens if you temporarily remove all working folders by "unsetting" the working folder at $/ w/ the recursive option.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Tilman

Post by Tilman » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:04 pm

That fixes it. I then turned the working folders on again, one by one and the performance got slowly worse again.

On a hunch, i then turned off 'Show non-version-controlled folders ghosted in folder tree' and that fixed it.

Is that anything that could be fixed? I rather like having the ghosted folders.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:59 pm

Unfortunately about the only thing you can do is keep your disk drives defragmented. Other than that about the only other work around is to limit working folders and their sub directories.

We have this down as a feature request. There is a lot of disk I/O going on to constantly scan these directories with the settings you mention. We're looking at ways to optimize the scans.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

JonEdwards

Same here...

Post by JonEdwards » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:30 pm

Hi Jeff,

I'm running 3.5.0 Win client and am experiencing the same problem. Concurrent development style and using modification times instead of CRCs to detect differences.

I have been up and running on this version for a year or so now and noticed about a few months ago that it was getting very slow. Others that have been using the client that long experience the same problem.

New folks on the team that have recently installed the client do not have this issue, which is very curious.

Have you guys made any progress on this issue?

Jon

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:07 pm

Not yet. There have been some stabilization releases for Vault 4.0 that have been taking time.

Rest assured this will be examined in a Vault 4.0.x maintenance release.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

JonEdwards

Post by JonEdwards » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:31 am

It takes at least 40 seconds for a "Get Latest Version" dialog box to pop up. This is quite frustrating...

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:38 am

I understand the frustration.

It is one of the top 3 items we will be preparing for that maintenance release. I will be posting information about the upcoming maintenance releases in the next couple of days.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

JonEdwards

Post by JonEdwards » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:48 am

Sounds good. Logging into Vault on my PC as another user with differnet working folders fixes the problem, but obviously I would prefer to use my original ID and working folders... Any thoughts on a possible work around? Are there local files or settings I can remove or modify? Anything in the Vault DB that I can clean up?

Thanks,

Jon

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:03 am

Off the top of my head, setting working folders only where you absolutely will be making changes, keeping file counts < 1500 per folder, and keeping folder structures not too deep is about the only thing I can recommend at this point.

Another thing to try is to enable "Require Check Out before Check In" might also help alleviate things.

Other than that, I'd have to see your configuration to know for certain. The problem is in the number of files per folder and number of sub-folders.

I know this is not ideal, and I apologize as not much else can be done with the current Vault binaries.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

JonEdwards

Post by JonEdwards » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:06 pm

Hi Jeff,

I turned on "Require Check Out before Check In" and performance and response times have improved dramatically. We do not have deep folder structures and only a few of them have more than 30 or 40 files in them (the average is closer to 5 or 6 per folder).

Jon