Can I upgrade from 3.1.9 direct to 4.0.4?

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

rab

Can I upgrade from 3.1.9 direct to 4.0.4?

Post by rab » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:12 pm

Hi,

Due to the fact that all clients must be upgraded at the same time as the server I have put off upgrading from 3.1.9 for as long as possible.

Is it possible to upgrade directly from 3.1.9 to 4.0.4 or should I use 3.5.3 as an intermediate step?

I have successfully upgraded all of my serial numbers from 3.1 to 4.0, but half of them failed when I tried to upgrade from 3.1 to 3.5.

Regards,
Rob Barnes

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:28 am

Although the installer should be able to upgrade from earlier versions, in practice we've found upgrading incrementally tends to work better for most users. So I'd suggest backing up the 3.1.9 database, then upgrading to 3.5.3 and then to 4.0.4.
I have successfully upgrded all of my serial numbers from 3.1 to 4.0, but half of them failed when I tried to upgrade from 3.1 to 3.5.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are your serial numbers all for Vault 4.x?

You can use our handy decoder to check:

https://store.sourcegear.com/sgstore/decode_serial.aspx

If you continue to have problems with licenses, contact our sales department at sgstore at sourcegear.com
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

rab

Post by rab » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:00 pm

lbauer wrote:
I have successfully upgrded all of my serial numbers from 3.1 to 4.0, but half of them failed when I tried to upgrade from 3.1 to 3.5.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are your serial numbers all for Vault 4.x?
Thanks for the decoder URL. It turns out that two of my serial numbers are already for 3.5 (I have been using them for 3.1), so that is why they couldn't be upgraded.

Regards,
Rob Barnes

jkp*74

Post by jkp*74 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:42 pm

I have tried upgrading directly from ver 3.1.7 to ver 4.0.4 - it does not work. The following error message appear when i install Vault Server:

Connecting to the SQL Server...OK
Verifying the SQL Server requirements...OK
Checking for an existing databases...Found.
Asking for database's fate...Keep existing.
Upgrading the existing source control database...
This may take a long time. Do NOT stop this process!
Verifying that the Fortress database is not installed...Could not locate entry in sysdatabases for database 'sgvault'. No entry found with that name. Make sure that the name is entered correctly.
Vault Setup is exiting due to a failure or cancellation. Error Code = -1280

So, i will download ver 3.5.3 & try it out. It is not so convenient but it is OK because this kind of activitiy won't occur very frequenlty.

To the development team, congratulation to this new release. Look forward for better features & more stable system.
Joel
Micro Modular System
http://www.mmsis.com

jkp*74

Post by jkp*74 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:14 pm

Ok. My mistake (the database was not restored properly - i am testing on another server - not the production server). The upgrade can be performed directly from 3.1.7 to 4.0.4 - It does works.
Joel
Micro Modular System

jkp*74

Missing Users & Groups info after upgrade to 4.0.4

Post by jkp*74 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:46 pm

When i click on the Users menu under Server Settings, the web page display "Error in the application" message. Following is the entry in sgvault.log file (the IP address is intentionally modified):

10/20/2007 11:28:01 AM admin--secondary.secondary.micromodular.com(xxx.xx.x.x)--SSL Disabled VaultLib.VaultDbException: Error in the application.
at VaultServiceAPILib.VaultAdminServiceAPI.GetGroupsForRep(Int32 repid, VaultGroupSummary[]& vGroups)
at VaultWebLib.Helpers.GroupSummaries()
at VaultService.Users.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e)
at System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) at VaultServiceAPILib.VaultAdminServiceAPI.GetGroupsForRep(Int32 repid, VaultGroupSummary[]& vGroups)
at VaultWebLib.Helpers.GroupSummaries()
at VaultService.Users.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e)
at System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Then clicking Repository Access & Folder Security under individual Repository also yield the same error page. However, when click on the Groups, there is no error page but it display no group name (which i have already created in previous version). When click on the Add button, i can see the list of user names which were created in previous version.

Have i miss out anything during the upgrade?
Joel
Micro Modular System

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:58 am

Do you have an sgmaster database now in addition to the sgvault database? Vault 4.0.4 has two databases, one for user information and one for source code, history, etc.

Also is there an sgdragnet database on that SQL Server machine?

Try restarting IIS -- does that help?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager