While branching vault becomes unresponsive

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

brewer531

While branching vault becomes unresponsive

Post by brewer531 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:27 pm

We just completed an upgrade to 4.0.4. One of the things we were hoping for is improvements in branching. It seems like the branching is faster which is great (it was 45 minutes to branch our tree now that's down to 12).

The issue that's really the problem is that users seem to be locked out while its doing this branch. I'd like to be able to branch code in the middle of the day with no worries. Is there anything we can do about that? SQL Server seems to peg one CPU during the whole process. The IIS process seems very quiet during the whole thing.

The project I am trying to branch is 680 megs in about 17,000 files but I would think a branch would be marking some small amounts of metadata not copying 680 megs around in the database.

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:20 pm

You are right that just meta data storage is going on, and none of the file data is copied. You should be able to do everything within Vault except commit another transaction within that repository.

What are your users exactly seeing or experiencing?

Also, is your database up to date on maintenance? During a branch, indices will be updated, tables will get new rows for the branched items, etc. For more information on maintenance, see this article: Database Maintenance.

brewer531

Post by brewer531 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:42 pm

We do regular database maintenance like the article describes (this had made a big difference in the past on general performance).

While the branch is happening no one can do anything in vault clients. Logging in gets stuck on "retreiving repository information". Checkins and get latest version just sit there and wait until the branch is done.

I'm wondering if there might be something wrong with the metadata in our database. What would you normally expect a branching of that many files to take or does the number of files not really matter? Even the 12 minutes seems excessive. Could we arrange for you to look at our database? I keep hearing grumblings about how perforce branches huge source code trees in 30 seconds.

Our database was a Vault 2 source safe import. Is it possible that we have some old cruft in there that could be affecting performance?

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:03 pm

Can you send me an email at support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this post? I'd like to dig a little deeper on this issue.
HS: 165597
F: 12563

Beth

Re: While branching vault becomes unresponsive

Post by Beth » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:43 am

This user reported greatly improved branch speeds with Vault 4.1.3 that took care of this issue.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support