FileCache

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

brewer531

FileCache

Post by brewer531 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:24 pm

Does anyone know what these settings do in Vault.config?

<FileCacheEnabled>False</FileCacheEnabled>
<FileCachePath>%SYSTEMROOT%\Temp\sgvault\filecache</FileCachePath>
<FileCacheDiskSizeMb>100</FileCacheDiskSizeMb>

We'd like to do anything to speed up large gets on new branches. I was wondering if enabling this would somehow speed things up? Our codeline is about 700 megs and it currently takes about 12 minutes to do a fresh get on a newly branched codeline. During the fresh get, the w3wp.exe process uses two of the four cores on the application server - seems excessive for a get.

We are currently going through some database diagnosis with Vault support so maybe it is our database, but I was still curious what these settings did.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:35 am

These settings determine whether the cache is enabled, the path to the client side cache, the size of the cache. I don't recommend changing these in the config file.

I don't think these have any impact on performance, other than making sure the cache location doesn't run out of space.

In Vault 4.x you can determine how many baselines and backup files to keep in the cache in Vault GUI Client Tools->Options->Local Files->Cache\Backup locations.

Note that a fresh get has to retrieve baselines and update the cache for the new branched folder. Do you see slowdowns when doing a fresh get to a new working folder of a folder that was not branched?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

brewer531

Post by brewer531 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:57 pm

These settings I am asking about are on the server's vault.config not the client's. Does it mean the server setting affects how the client behaves or maybe the default settings for the client?

A get for simply a new working folder is fast if the files are already in the cache but that is almost never done (we tend to set a working folder once and never change it).

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:41 am

These values will be used in a possible future release of the Vault server. They should be ignored at this time.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear