Continuing an aborted VSS import process

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

kadorken

Continuing an aborted VSS import process

Post by kadorken » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:15 am

Due to stupidity, we tried to import the rest of our VSS database into vault on a SQLEXPRESS system. Of course it ran into the 4GB upper limit. Sigh.

If I restore the vault database as of the last backup (taken DURING the import process, about 1/2 way through before it started to fail due to database full) to a new server (non SQLEXPRESS), can I simply start the VSS import process over again from the beginning?

(I.e. Will the files that already were imported partially into Vault be either ignored during the second import process, or will I end up with a big mess).

Recommendations? (I am busy trying to restore our automated last backup from last night; If I have to, I can go back to a restore PRIOR to starting the import, but then will have to determine what people changed during the day and have them 'do them again'.)

Thanks in advance, Keith

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:32 pm

It's best to start over, using a new repository if possible. Then delete the repository with the failed import.

The import can't do a "diff" to determine what's already in the database and it will generate errors every time it tries to import an item that's already there.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

kadorken

And keeping the existing stuff that was in the repository ?

Post by kadorken » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:18 pm

If I start over, with a new repository, I won't have the data that has been built up in the old repository for the last 4 years. The idea was to import the OLD source that we left in VSS 4 years ago when we started using vault with the intent to import it over later when 'we had time' and the import process had improved.

I guess I can try to delete all the old stuff from the restored (failed) respository to clean up before starting over (and obliterate).

Any other suggestions?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:54 pm

Didn't realize you already had data in the repository. Yes, you can delete the failed import.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager