Local vs remote access to Vault

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

tomt84

Local vs remote access to Vault

Post by tomt84 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:54 pm

Scenario:

I need to connect to a Vault server through a VPN, as well as locally.

While on the VPN, the DNS name I have to use to refer to the Vault box is different from the DNS name I would use on the LAN.

The problem with this is that the source control bindings to the Vault server address are stored in the .csproj files, and are therefore the same regardless of where I try to access Vault from.

e.g.
<SccAuxPath>http://vm-devsrv/VaultService</SccAuxPath>
works when on the same LAN as Vault, but not when off-site. I would need to qualify it with vm-devsrv.companyname.local for it to work off-site.

Is there any way to have different machines connect to the Vault server using different hostnames, or am I just going to have to fudge the DNS somehow?
Tom Fanning

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:28 pm

Does the Vault server have the same IP address when you're on the LAN vs. VPN? If so, could you use the plain IP?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

tomt84

Post by tomt84 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:36 pm

Yes, but it fetches it via DHCP - it could potentially change.

I guess we could do a reservation - or just give it a static IP - unless there's a better way?

(I only ask because there's a chance we could want to do this over the net outside a vpn in future - therefore no chance of this workaround)

Thanks for the quick response.
Tom Fanning

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:10 pm

With DHCP in play, there's not much that could be done with the current behavior of Vault. The IDE client's use the server name as a key, and with the server names changing, that might be a problem.

Is it possible you could configure the DNS suffix when connecting from the outside? This way, "vm-devsrv" could always resolve to the correct machine.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

tomt84

Post by tomt84 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:45 pm

I guess that answers the question - that there is not an alternative place to specify the vault server name. Now I know that I'll work with it.

Thanks again
Tom
Tom Fanning