Seaching for and deleting files

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

mattGreatPond

Seaching for and deleting files

Post by mattGreatPond » Wed May 05, 2004 8:10 am

Ok, so I added a project to Vault that was once in SourceSafe and I forgot to remove all those insidious .scc files. Bummer. So I want to search in Vault and find all those files and delete them – and then Obliterate them in the Admin tool. I know I can do a history search and find all the .scc files, but I can’t delete them that way. Is there a way to easily do this?

dan

Post by dan » Wed May 05, 2004 8:19 am

Unfortunately, there isn't an easy way to do this right now. We will be adding search by filename in the next major version to the search pane in the main window, but it isn't there yet.

mattGreatPond

Post by mattGreatPond » Wed May 05, 2004 9:27 am

No problem, nice to know this will be a new feature! So I went through the project I added and manually deleted all the 72 .scc files. I then Obliterated them (I love the sound of that) because they are useless. Now, in my local folder hierarchy, those .scc files still exist. So just to check everything, I did a project diff, expecting to find 72 files in the filesystem that were not in Vault – but there were only 66 local files reported. Looking into it closer, we noticed that all of the 6 unaccounted files were located either in folders named “debug” and “release” or in their child folders. Interestingly, if I do a diff of just the “debug” or “release” folders, the local .scc files are correctly reported… but if I do a history of the “debug” or “release” parent folder, the local files are not accounted for.

mattGreatPond

Post by mattGreatPond » Wed May 05, 2004 9:54 am

Sorry, that last sentence should have read:

Interestingly, if I do a diff of just the “debug” or “release” folders, the local .scc files are correctly reported… but if I do a diff of the “debug” or “release” parent folder, the local files are not accounted for.

mattGreatPond

Post by mattGreatPond » Thu May 06, 2004 8:18 am

I don't know if you all picked up that last reply - probably should have been a separate topic. Were you able to reproduce the above described behavior?

dan

Post by dan » Thu May 06, 2004 8:45 am

mattGreatPond wrote:Interestingly, if I do a diff of just the “debug” or “release” folders, the local .scc files are correctly reported… but if I do a diff of the “debug” or “release” parent folder, the local files are not accounted for.
The diff tools comes with an exclusion list of folder and file types to ignore, and Release and Debug are in that list by default (since these folders are not usually included in source control).

If you want to change what is in the exclusion list, go to File-Options->Folder Filters and edit the types there. (this is the diff tool, not the Vault client).

mattGreatPond

Post by mattGreatPond » Thu May 06, 2004 8:59 am

Great! Man, I've been all over those options and I still missed it :shock: