Error pinning or deleting folder in Vault

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Locked
Balthazor
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:10 pm
Location: Hartford, Wisconsin

Error pinning or deleting folder in Vault

Post by Balthazor » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:32 am

Yesterday I tried pinning a folder and got this error:

Item $/Releases/ActiveLink Process Release 3/ActiveLink Download Processes/ActiveStaffer/Sub Releases/Release 1/Builds/Build 19 caused the transaction to fail: The object could not be found. It may have been deleted, moved or renamed.

I tried deleting all my local cache files, logging in as a different user, and logging in from a different machine and got the same results. Then I tried deleting the folder and got the same error.

When I look at the properties for the folder, the Name field is blank. See the attachment for a screenshot. Any help on this would be much appreciated.
Attachments
prntscrn.JPG
Print Screen
prntscrn.JPG (23.18 KiB) Viewed 8977 times

lbauer
Posts: 9736
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:25 pm
Location: SourceGear

Post by lbauer » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:06 pm

What version of Vault are you using?

Check the Vault Server log file for any errors. Are there any relating to path length? The log is sgvault.log in %windir%\temp\sgvault.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Balthazor
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:10 pm
Location: Hartford, Wisconsin

Post by Balthazor » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:07 pm

I also notice that if I try to move that folder, I get a slightly different error:

Item $/Releases/ActiveLink Process Release 3/ActiveLink Download Processes/ActiveStaffer/Sub Releases/Release 1/Builds/Build 19 caused the transaction to fail: The source object path is not found in the tree.

One other thing of note is that the folder name has an extra space at the end. So it isn't "Build 19" it's "Build 19 ". I don't know if that makes any difference. Oh, and we're running Vault version 3.5.0.

Balthazor
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:10 pm
Location: Hartford, Wisconsin

Post by Balthazor » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:13 pm

The server log shows these messages:

(3fa89e84-6442-4b3e-98f4-56890998b1bf) BeginTx returned: FailObjPathInvalid
(3fa89e84-6442-4b3e-98f4-56890998b1bf) Delete: $/Releases/ActiveLink Process Release 3/ActiveLink Download Processes/ActiveStaffer/Sub Releases/Release 1/Builds/Build 19 returned: FailObjPathInvalid

(2fce27c6-2e07-4f52-9041-33cd0b786666) BeginTx returned: FailObjPathInvalid
(2fce27c6-2e07-4f52-9041-33cd0b786666) Pin: $/Releases/ActiveLink Process Release 3/ActiveLink Download Processes/ActiveStaffer/Sub Releases/Release 1/Builds/Build 19 returned: FailObjPathInvalid

(4bc62195-81b4-4f95-8816-0a1bde510e27) BeginTx returned: FailObjPathInvalid
(4bc62195-81b4-4f95-8816-0a1bde510e27) Rename: $/Releases/ActiveLink Process Release 3/ActiveLink Download Processes/ActiveStaffer/Sub Releases/Release 1/Builds/Build 19 to Build 19 (Do Not Use) returned: FailObjPathInvalid

ListDeletedObjects returned: FailObjPathInvalid

lbauer
Posts: 9736
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:25 pm
Location: SourceGear

Post by lbauer » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:22 pm

This sounds like a bug we had in previous versions, where a trailing space made the path invalid. But this was fixed in Vault 3.0 and I couldn't reproduce this with the same folder path in Vault 3.5.3.

The first thing I'd suggest is to restart the Vault Server by restarting IIS. you can use the iisreset command from the command line.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Balthazor
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:10 pm
Location: Hartford, Wisconsin

Post by Balthazor » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:43 pm

Restarting the Vault service didn't do the trick.

lbauer
Posts: 9736
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:25 pm
Location: SourceGear

Post by lbauer » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:02 pm

I did some further investigation: There was a different problem which caused a problem if a file or folder had a trailing space.

We changed the behavior in Vault 3.5.2. As a first step, I'd suggest that you upgrade to Vault 3.5.3.

Users should delete their client-side cache files before they connect again after the upgrade. It's a good idea to upgrade clients as well.


Let us know if this does not resolve the problem.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Balthazor
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:10 pm
Location: Hartford, Wisconsin

Post by Balthazor » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:41 pm

Just finished updating to 3.5.3, and that does appear to have fixed the problem. I guess there's something to be said for installing updates from time to time. :)

Thanks for the help!

Locked