Why wasn't vssver2.scc re-created?

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

BSomerville

Why wasn't vssver2.scc re-created?

Post by BSomerville » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:05 am

Hi. Running Vault 3.5.2 and VS 2005. Somehow, I lost my solution's connection to Vault, and any time I opened the solution, it would say,

"Invalid filename 'https://<vault server URL>/VaultService|:2\srcsafe.ini'...

(Yes, VSS is still installed on my machine).

Nothing I did, including whacking the project folder and opening the solution from source control would allow this solution to re-connect after closing the project. E.g.

1. Open solution - got bogus "invalid filename" message.
2. Whack folder.
3. Reset SCC provider in VS 2005 to Vault.
4. Open solution from Vault - succeeded/connected.
5. Close solution.
6. Open solution again (from disk). Same message as #1, and provider reset to VSS.

Tried removing bindings, reconnecting, etc. No joy.

I noticed that in the new folder, it didn't create vssver2.scc, which was there in the original, working solution folder. I restored this file from a backup (it is old - from 2006), and now everything works.

So, if this file is so crucial to Vault's SCC provider working properly, why wasn't it properly re-created? If not, why is this solution, which has nothing special in it, so broken, and why didn't anything else fix this? I'd like to make sure this doesn't happen in the future. Note that when I recovered the solution's connection, zero changes were made to any of the solution/project files, including the .vspscc and .vssscc files, nor was the mssccprj.scc file in any way different. The *only* change that worked in this case was restoring the old vssver2.scc file.
-- Bill

Terence

Post by Terence » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:48 am

Can you be more specific about what changed between when it was working properly and when it began behaving badly?
Terence McGhee
SourceGear

BSomerville

Post by BSomerville » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:46 pm

Frankly, no idea, but since I'm extra careful about keeping junk out of my .sln/.vcproj files, opening the project into a new folder should have worked. What's more odd about this is that I've generally had no issues like this with other solutions. In fact, just tried it on another project and it was fine. Also re-tried this on the offending project, and now it's fine.

Never mind. Must have been some kind of VS 2005 hiccup.
-- Bill

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:52 pm

Let us know if you run into more problems with this.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager