Replication for D/R only

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

BSomerville

Replication for D/R only

Post by BSomerville » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:01 pm

The perennial Replication question, but from a different angle. I'm not interested in the performance aspect of this, as our remote performance is fine. But, we're setting-up a backup build environment in a different site, in the event our primary site (containing Vault) becomes a smoking crater.

In this case, since our Vault DB is fairly huge (30GB or so, currently), getting the entire DB from site to site (e.g. via nightly backup) is difficult. So, with the understanding that "Vault does not support replication" in mind, is it possible to essentially have a R/O replica via SQL replication, or is there something inherently impossible about replicating Vault data?
-- Bill

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:38 pm

Due do the design of stored procedures the database cannot replicate.
I believe this is a problem within SQL Server not Vault. Also, the database is not set up to do replication, so you might run into problems with database changes.

You can try a few different things to see if it works for you, but it's not something we test or support. For example, you might be able to put sgvault/sgmaster into FULL recovery mode, make a full backup of the database and restore at the other site, and then make nightly log backups and try applying the backed up log files on the other database. I don't know why kind success you'd have there though.

With whatever you decided to do, make sure you have a current backup of both of your databases.