Unable to connect to Dragnet, try again?

If you are having a problem using Dragnet, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

michaeldragnet

Unable to connect to Dragnet, try again?

Post by michaeldragnet » Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:32 pm

I get a message box when checking in something from Vault with a bug number (or clicking browse) immediately after typing my username and password and hitting ok.

It says: Unable to connect to dragnet, try again?

But it comes up so fast I don't even think its trying to connect. I've tried reinstalling Vault Server on different VMs, on different computers, running the client on a seperate computer, running Dragnet in a VM and not in a VM and every time, I get this message.

Of course, I can load Dragnet fine via the web browser from all of these machines.

I've tried changing the dragnet url from http://localhost/dragnet to http://127.0.0.1/dragnet (when the client is running on the local machine) and to http://ipaddress/dragnet (when the client isn't) and made sure to exit out of and restart the client everytime.

The above urls all work successfully from a browser.

Any ideas?
Attachments
screenshot6090.png
screenshot6090.png (40.46 KiB) Viewed 21986 times

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:58 pm

Is the Vault Client going through a proxy server?

If so, see:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=4009

What type of authentication are you using in Dragnet? Vault, Dragnet or Windows Auth?

What IIS process did you choose when you installed the Vault Server and Dragnet (ASPNET, Custom or System)? If you chose to use a custom account, are both Vault and Dragnet using the same Custom Account?
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

michaeldragnet

Post by michaeldragnet » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:29 am

No proxy server.

RE: authentication and IIS process... Which is the easiest setup? I'll set it up however it is supposed to work, but I'm not sure which setup is the most likely to work.

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:59 am

There is an issue with authentication if you install Vault and Dragnet using different IIS process accounts. You may need to set some extra folder permissions for the authentication between the two to work.

You can choose whatever IIS process you want to run Vault and Dragnet, but whichever you choose, both Dragnet and Vault should be running as the same account or you will to set extra permissions on some folders.

If you do not have Dragnet and Vault process running as the same account you can either:

1) Uninstall and re-Install Vault and Dragnet (make sure to KEEP your databases) using the same IIS process account

or

2) Give the Vault process account permission to the Dragnet folder and the Dragnet process account to the Vault Service folder and make sure both the Dragnet and Vault process accounts have full permission to the
%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys directory.
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

michaeldragnet

Post by michaeldragnet » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:31 pm

Ok, I tried that and I got the same error.

1. I created a blank VM with SQL server.
2. Installed Vault with a custom new user called Vault on localmachine (created it using Vault installer and put it in the administrator group)
3. Installed Dragnet using the same user.
4. Dragnet works via http://localhost/Dragnet
5. Vault works via http://localhost/VaultService

But the error persists. This is all inside a VM on VMWare. You could probably reproduce it in 10 minutes (that's how long it took me).

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:12 am

I just had our QA department setup Vault and Dragnet on VMWare and integration between the two worked fine both connecting with a Vault Client inside VM and outside VM.

What type of authentication did you choose in Dragnet on the Setup page? Vault, Dragnet or Windows Auth?

What URL do you have configured for Dragnet in the Vault Admin Tool?

Is there anything in the Dragnet log file that shows a connection attept was made (%windir%\temp\sgdragnet\draget.log)? If so are there any errors?
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

michaeldragnet

Post by michaeldragnet » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:20 pm

>> What type of authentication did you choose in Dragnet on the Setup page? Vault, Dragnet or Windows Auth?

Whatever the default is. I don't know what it is set to or how to change it.

>>
What URL do you have configured for Dragnet in the Vault Admin Tool?

http://localhost/dragnet

>> Is there anything in the Dragnet log file that shows a connection attept was made (%windir%\temp\sgdragnet\draget.log)? If so are there any errors?

# SourceGear Dragnet Server
2005-11-09 19:24:21.514 Starting SourceGear Dragnet by SourceGear, LLC - Version 1.0.4.1242 Copyright © 2003-2005 SourceGear, LLC All rights reserved.
2005-11-09 19:24:21.514 Configured Options: : LogLevel - Quiet LogReverseDNSLookup - True
2005-11-10 15:15:34.370 Starting SourceGear Dragnet by SourceGear, LLC - Version 1.0.4.1242 Copyright © 2003-2005 SourceGear, LLC All rights reserved.
2005-11-10 15:15:34.370 Configured Options: : LogLevel - Quiet LogReverseDNSLookup - True

That's all that is in the log.

The error msg comes up INSTANTLY after I hit ok in the vault client. It isn't even talking to Dragnet I believe.

What can I do further to debug this?

michaeldragnet

Post by michaeldragnet » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:28 pm

I think I found the "Authentication" setting you were referring to. Under "Modify a User" there is a dropdown but it is disabled (for the admin account).

I was using the Admin account (which had the same password on both vault and dragnet).

So I set up a test account named test, with a password test in vault. Added the test user to dragnet and set authentication to Vault. Logged in with test user to Vault client and repeated the test with the same problem.

I also cannot log in to Dragnet via the web interface for the test user when its authentication is set to Vault.

The error message is "Invalid Password" in the web interface.

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:01 pm

What error do you get in the Dragnet log file when you try to connect using the Test account?

Can you verify that the "Vault" account you created to run the Vault and Dragnet process has full permission to the following directory:

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys

You could try installing Vault and Dragnet using the default for IIS process (ASPNET for IIS 5.0 or NETWORK SERVICE for IIS 6.0) and see if that works.

Or you may try running IdentitySwitcher with the "Vault" account you created for both the Vault and Dragnet web.config files to ensure that the Vault account has all the required permissions:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?p=10935

What OS are you installing on? What version of the .net framework are you using? What version of Vault are you using?

Also, instead of using "localhost" in the Vault Admin tool for the Dragnet URL use the IP or fully qualified DNS name. Localhost will only work if the Vault client is on the same machine as Dragnet (most of your Vault clients will not be on the same machine as Dragnet, so we should try to get the URL you will actually use working).
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

michaeldragnet

Post by michaeldragnet » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:02 pm

Here's the error from the logfile:
Vault authorization for user test failed. Couldn't connect to object.
File or assembly name 3cfk1rhq.dll, or one of its dependencies, was not found.

Vault account has full perms on RSA\MachineKeys (and subfiles)

.NET: v1.1.4322
Vault: 3.1.5 (3546)[/quote]

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:44 am

Sorry for the delay in responding. I was out of the office Friday.

Typically we see this error when the impersonated user doesn't have permissions to $WINDOWSDIR$\TEMP.

Make sure that the "Vault" user you created has full permissions to this directory.
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

michaeldragnet

Post by michaeldragnet » Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:37 pm

Thank you. That seemed to fix it.