Dragnet - Renaming/Deleting "Platform" List Items

This forum is now locked, since gold support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

SomeAdministrator

Dragnet - Renaming/Deleting "Platform" List Items

Post by SomeAdministrator » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:35 pm

I currently have two active Dragnet projects. An older project that we may not make any more modifications to, and a new project.

Since the Platform field is a list of items that is global across the entire database (all projects), I am wondering if renaming or deleting items within this list would cause problems or errors within my old project.

My goal is to have lists that are accurate to the most current project. But I also don't want to cause problems or create any sort of brokeness in my old project by renaming or deleting items within the Platform, Status, Type, etc, lists. And we also don't want to create a new database.

Let me know, thanks!

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:53 am

You shouldn't delete any platform values (or any other database values )that are currently in use.

You can rename values that are in use and the change will be reflected in all items that are assigned that value.

If you want to delete a platform value, you should first do a query for all items of that are assigned that value. You can then do a batch edit to change the platform to something else (like unknown). After that you can delete the platform value.

Note that if you are going to delete or rename any values, you should do it via the Dragnet web interface (go to Database menu link on the server home page if you are logged in as an Admin user). You should never delete or change anything in the database directly.
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear