Public group rights

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Xavier

Public group rights

Post by Xavier » Tue May 20, 2008 10:45 am

Hello,

is there some documentation on public groups ?
As far as I understand, the only restriction with public groups is that they only have access to public items ?
Does other limitations exists ?

Would it be possible to give them only access to some fields of the database. For example the time estimate of a bug should be hidden.

Our usage would be to provide customer that have a maintenance plan acces to the public part of our tracked issues through web only licence. Is it designed for something else ?
If not I think more fields/features should be disabled for public groups.

If a user is member of several groups, I suppose the one with more rights is taken into account ?

Thanks

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue May 20, 2008 3:27 pm

The Public Group feature is a way to further limit access to work tracking items. By default a user with access to a project sees all the bugs/work items in a project.

However, some Fortress users allow customers to access the Item Tracking to allow them to enter and review their bugs, but don't want to give access to all the bugs in the project.

The Admin can Enable Public Items on the Project Name page, then create a group that only has access to Public items. When logging bugs, Fortress users can mark those bugs as Public by checking the checkbox at the top of the bug (public items need to be enabled in the project).

Those users who are members of the group with Public-Only access, and no other access, will see only the public items in the project.

If a user has explicit rights or has rights from another group, they may see more than just the public access items.
Currently, there is no way to limit the fields a public user can see -- but I will log this as a feature request.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Wed May 21, 2008 1:21 am

Beside seeing only Public Items, is there any other limitation (no changes for example, or cannot close an item ... ?) to Public group members ?

If I understand right, the only difference between Public and non public groups is the visibilty of items; all other rights are handled the same ?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed May 21, 2008 5:25 pm

If I understand right, the only difference between Public and non public groups is the visibilty of items; all other rights are handled the same ?

That's correct. However -- You can give the Public group (or any group or user) limited access like Read-Only, so they can browse bugs but not make any changes.

This setting is under Item Tracking Projects->Project Access.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager