Fortress Checkins Are Not Appearing As Bug Comments

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

steves@neoterictech.com

Fortress Checkins Are Not Appearing As Bug Comments

Post by steves@neoterictech.com » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:46 pm

In Fortress 1.1.2 I do a checkin and usually it prompts me for a username and password so it can log in and add the checkin comments to the bug number I specified while doing the checkin.

About a week ago that stopped working. Why?

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:52 pm

Are you checking in from the Fortress GUI client or from inside of Visual Studio?

If inside of VS, which version of VS are you using, and which client do you have set in the VS Tools - Options - Source Control?

Was logging checkins against a bug required before or optional? You might want to check in the admin web page to see if it's still set to be required if it was before.

steves@neoterictech.com

Post by steves@neoterictech.com » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:58 pm

I am using the Fortress GUI client. The "Require bug ID for checkins" Admin web page respository option is unchecked so BugIDs are optional.

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:10 am

Can you describe how yours stopped working? What are the symptoms? What do you click on and where?

steves@neoterictech.com

Post by steves@neoterictech.com » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:45 am

I installed the Fortress UI a couple of weeks ago and it seemed to be working then. Here are the steps I would do for a checkin:

1. Tick the 'Mark Complete' and 'Add Checkin Comment as Item Comment' boxes.
2. Enter the checkin comment.
3. Press Ok.
4. Fortress would then typicallly prompt me for my user login and password so it could log into the bug repository, i.e. not every time but pretty often.
5. Fortress would then add that comment to the bug.
6. If would open up the repository myself and note that the comment had been added to the bug and that the bug had been closed.
7. I would also notice that two emails arrive: the checkin notice and the bug update notice.

When I first used the Fortress UI I mostly did that from the office with an Outlook thick client running in the background. When I do this sometimes I even have the same bug open in a background window and that seemed to work fine also, i.e. refreshing it would show that the bug had been updated.

But I also work from home and when I worked from home I noticed that step #4 just was not happening. I would do step #6 just to check and sure enough the comment never made it into the bug and the bug never got closed. This was true whether I had the bug open in a background window or not. Once or twice it did work from home but not very often.

Beth

Re: Fortress Checkins Are Not Appearing As Bug Comments

Post by Beth » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:36 pm

Did your changes that you checked in make it into Fortress?
You shouldn't have to do an additional login just to check in, unless it's been a very long time or it's the first connection. Usually, getting to where you can see the repositories requires a login, and you shouldn't need it for rest of that session. Could you post a screenshot?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

steves@neoterictech.com

Post by steves@neoterictech.com » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:10 pm

Hi Beth

Yes, the checkins made it into the Fortress code repository. The relogin was only the first time that it was updating a bug report from the Fortress Client UI during the same session. Actually at this point it is neither asking me to login anymore nor is it adding the bug comment, so I can't get you a screen shot of the login window. Is there a way to enable Fortress Client UI logging so we can see what is going on?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:39 pm

It sounds like there's a problem with communication between Source Control and Item Tracking.

As Beth stated, you should not have to log in again to update a bug from the GUI Client or Visual Studio.

Open the Fortress GUI Client then select View->Browse Fortress items. Are you able to see the item tracking and browse items?

Send me the the recent sgvault and fortress logs -- they're in the Windows\Temp directory on the Fortress Server machine.

Send them zipped up to support at sourcegear.com, Attn: Linda. Be sure to include a link to this post.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

steves@neoterictech.com

Post by steves@neoterictech.com » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:40 pm

Hi Linda

I just emailed those LOGS to support@sourcegear.com. To answer your question below: I get an error when i do "View->Browse Fortress items". I have attached the error in my email.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:10 am

The user had an error in a profile.

Case#213068
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager