Fresh installation, can't connect to item tracking web svc

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

jeff.s

Fresh installation, can't connect to item tracking web svc

Post by jeff.s » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:47 pm

Fresh installation of Fortress 1.1.2.18185 on a 32-Bit, Windows Server 2003 R2 system.

Everything seems to install and work fine but when I go through "Item Tracking" and go to create a new project (http://localhost/VaultService/Admin/Pro ... px?pid=new), I get the following error (after clicking "Create"):

"Error
Unable to connect to the Fortress item tracking web service."

I can navigate to all four web services from my browser just fine.
http://localhost/Fortress/DragnetWebService.asmx
http://localhost/VaultService/VaultAdminService.asmx
http://localhost/VaultService/VaultService.asmx
http://localhost/VaultService/VaultShad ... rvice.asmx (though this initially wasn't being picked up as a web application so I manually converted it, just to see if it'd fix the problem)

I'm guessing other related functionality is broken but I haven't gone hunting. Maybe it's a simple connectivity issue?

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times and using different identites for the IIS process model, repairing installation, looking through the Web.config files, etc. I haven't uncovered solution yet and was hoping someone had a quick answer.

One error message from sgvault.log:

----7/30/2008 12:19:44 PM admin--srccontrol.localdomain(127.0.0.1)--SSL Disabled System.Exception: Unable to connect to the Fortress item tracking web service.
at VaultWebLib.RemoteDragnetService..ctor()
at VaultService.Project.ButtonSubmit_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument)
at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) at VaultWebLib.RemoteDragnetService..ctor()
at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Thanks in advance

Beth

Re: Fresh installation, can't connect to item tracking web svc

Post by Beth » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:02 pm

This is the first report I think I have of this in Fortress 1.1.2, which I think had a fix related to this. It's discussed in this thread: Upgrade to Fortress 1.1 - Admin web access broken. Look to a suggestion in the very last post. Give that a try and let me know your results.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

jeff.s

Post by jeff.s » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:50 pm

I saw that post earlier but I didn't think it was the same problem since I'm having trouble while on the same machine as Fortress instead of accessing remotely. I'll give it a try tomorrow and report results though.

thanks for the reply

jeff.s

Post by jeff.s » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:34 am

I tried adding the line to the hosts file as suggested but there's no change in behavior. Maybe this is a completely different problem.

thanks

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:21 am

Can you try a few other functions? That will help narrow this down some if they fail or succeed.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

jeff.s

Post by jeff.s » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:22 am

I've clicked around a lot but the only functionality that is broken is the create project. If you want, I can manually create a project via the database and see if any functionality accessible then is also broken.

kgchang

Post by kgchang » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:16 am

I just completed a fresh installation as well, and I have this same error. I took a look at the previous bug, and I'm not sure it's the same. I can't get it to work remotely or using localhost. We don't even have a "website" here, just a server pathname that it's installed to, so I don't think it's a routing issue.

Code: Select all

----8/5/2008 5:01:47 PM      admin--<my server name>(127.0.0.1)--SSL Disabled	System.Exception: Unable to connect to the Fortress item tracking web service.
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)    at VaultWebLib.RemoteDragnetService..ctor()
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
----8/5/2008 5:03:07 PM      admin--<my computer>(<my ip...192.168.x.x>)--SSL Disabled	System.Exception: Unable to connect to the Fortress item tracking web service.
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)    at VaultWebLib.RemoteDragnetService..ctor()
All the intranet stuff was enabled specifically for this install, however, so it's possible there are settings that haven't been enabled or are set incorrectly. In fact, just about everything is brand new back there. We are running Windows Server 2003, IIS5 (I think?), SQL Server 2005 and 2008 rc0 (Fortress is installed on 2005). VS2008 is on the client machine, which has WinXP.

Edit: I'm also not able to connect to the server using the Fortress client.

Unable to connect to http://<my server>/VaultService.  No server was found at the specified URL.  Please verify your network settings using the Options dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client.  Web Exception: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.

BrokenBokken

Post by BrokenBokken » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:52 am

Make sure the permissions are set correctly on the VaultService folder. On our server, we have all the groups the developers belong to with read access, and then a few system accounts that need some access.

ASPNET Machine Account (full access) - I'm not sure why I did this, or if it's really needed, but I believe it was required.

IIS_WPG (read only access)

Internet Guest Account (Read only access) - this is the IUSR_SERVERNAME account that is the anonymous user in your IIS

Launch IIS Process Account (full access) - IWAM_SERVERNAME again, not sure if it really needs full access

NETWORK SERVICE (full access)

Try just granting read access to all those, and then granting full one at a time until it works right.
Broken Bokken

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:01 pm

Let us know if BrokenBokken's suggestions don't help.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

jeff.s

Post by jeff.s » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:19 am

It's an HTTP 401.1 error I'm seeing, and I've tried with two identities - mine and NETWORK SERVICE. My account can access the web service through the browser, but not when I'm logged into Fortress apparently. Is there an alternate identity that's accessing the web service and I just looked at the wrong identity? (I'm going off of the identity used by the VaultAppPool)

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:29 pm

It may be helpful if you can send me the fortress_install.log located in your %temp% directory so I can see if there was any weirdness or errors during the install process.

Make sure that the "machine key" values are identical in the web.config files in both the Fortress and VaultService folders. The installer should create identical machine keys in both web.config files, but maybe something got messed up.

<machineKey validationKey="HUGE_STRING_OF_NUMBERS" decryptionKey="SLIGHTLY_LESS_HUGE_STRING_OF_NUMBERS" validation="SHA1"/>
In Windows 2003 if you chose all of the defaults during installation the NT Authority/Network Service account needs read/write access to the following folders in order for the Server to work:

* the local directories containing the server installation files (by default, c:\InetPub\wwwroot\VaultService and c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Fortress).
* the directory where the log files are written (by default, WINNT\Temp).
* the IIS process account's %userprofile%\Application Data \Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys or to %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys if the IIS process account does not have a user profile.
* the Vault Shadow Folder directory - c:\InetPub\wwwroot\VaultService\VaultShadowFolder
* Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\<version>\Temporary ASP.NET Files.

Also, make sure the Fotress and VaultService web service's virtual directories have Anonymous Access enabled in IIS.
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

kgchang

Post by kgchang » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:20 pm

Hello again,

I had the IT guy look at the two posts w/suggestions in them; all changes have been made but still no luck. Any other ideas? Just to be clear, still have:

- inability to add item tracking project in intranet VaultService
- inability to connect using Fortress Client

Is fortress.log the same as the fortress_install.log file you are asking for? I was unable to find fortress_install.log. Thanks!

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:59 am

Fortress_install.log would be in the temp directory of the user who installed Fortress, on the Fortress Server machine.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:10 am

kgchang - I think you may be having a different problem than Jeff.s since it looks like the server can't be found at all. If you go to http://<servername>/VaultService/VaultService.asmx in a web browser do you see a web page or do you get an error? What about if you go to http://<servername>/VaultService? Do you see the default web page?

The fortress.log and fortress_install.log are not the same. The fortress_install.log should be in the %temp% directory of the user you were logged in as when you installed. Were you logged in as an Administrator on the machine when you installed?

You should try re-installing. Before installing Fortress again verify that you have done all the necessary steps to install Fortress on Windows 2003. The following KB article is for Vault, but it applies to Fortress as well:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=185

If you continue to have difficulties, please email me your install log (fortress_install.log) file and your fortress.log file directly along with any error messages that are displayed. You can use the email button at the side of this post to email me.
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

kgchang

Post by kgchang » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:08 pm

/VaultService/VaultService.asmx - gives me a list of operations that are supported
/VaultService - gives me the Fortress Home Page w/Server Installation information

I made sure to check on all of the pre-install steps before installation, but was not involved in the installation process after that. I'll look for the log file again and send both to you. Should I start a new thread or keep posting under Jeff's?