Required Work Item(Bug ID) allows invalid IDs

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

obrion

Required Work Item(Bug ID) allows invalid IDs

Post by obrion » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:48 am

I have turned on "Require bug ID for checkins" on my Fortress repository as I want to be able to associate check-ins to work items that have been defined so we can see when someone makes a change, what they thought they were working on when the made the change. One of the developers came into my office yesterday and asked where he is supposed to find the valid numbers; I said the Browse button should help. I then asked what he had been using so far, he said, oh, I just put in 0 and it took it. ???? I then tried it myself and just made up a totally random number that is certainly not a valid work item. The check-in was allowed.

I would have expected Fortress to be checking to ensure that a valid work item was specified. Is this not how it is supposed to work?

Thanks,

Robert O'Brion
AT&T

lbauer

Re: Required Work Item(Bug ID) allows invalid IDs

Post by lbauer » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:56 am

Fortress doesn't throw an error if the bug number doesn't exist. It's a reasonable expectation. I'll log a feature request for this.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

obrion

Post by obrion » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:38 am

Thank you!

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:17 am

You're welcome.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

AjarnMark

Post by AjarnMark » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:56 pm

Add my vote on this feature request. I just recently found out that one of my (soon-to-be-former) developers was doing the same thing. Particularly frustrating when the comment left was "*". Grrrr!

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:47 am

Will do.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

obrion

Post by obrion » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:50 am

Is there a specific release in which we can expect Fortress to disallow the use of invalid item numbers for check-ins? I was just talking to a developer the other day and asked which work item he was using to check in some changes. His response: 0. If developers can specify invalid work item numbers, such as items which do not exist or 0, it makes it very difficult to see what work went into meeting a particular requirement. Is there a plan of upcoming changes posted anywhere that shows when this will be addressed?

Thanks!

Robert

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:43 pm

We haven't decided on the feature set or bug fixes for the next release. However, I think you have a good point that this is something we need to fix. I've added your comments to work item 5636 and bumped it up in priority.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear