Critical: Error while upgrading to 1.1.3

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Xavier

Critical: Error while upgrading to 1.1.3

Post by Xavier » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:58 am

Hello,

I cannot upgrade with the latest version:
Looking for IIS Version
Upgrading your Fortress configuration.
Requesting the IIS Process User...Connecting to the SQL Server...OK
Verifying the SQL Server requirements...OK
Requesting Fortress Admin user password...OK
Upgrading the existing source control database...
This may take a long time. Do NOT stop this process!
Checking the installed database version...OK
Grant database access to AUTORITE NT\SERVICE RÉSEAU...OK
Upgrading SourceGear master database schema...OK
Upgrading SourceGear source control database schema...OK
Upgrading SourceGear work item tracking database schema...OK
Waiting for upgrade connection to sgvault database to be released...OK
Upgrading SourceGear master stored procedures...OK
Upgrading SourceGear source control stored procedures...OK
Upgrading SourceGear work item tracking stored procedures...OK
Database upgrade succeeded!
Checking permissions on local folders...OK
Adding permissions for temporary asp.net files...
Ok
La référence d'objet n'est pas définie à une instance d'un objet.
Fortress Upgrade Setup is exiting due to a failure or cancellation. Error Code = -1001

After pressing [OK] the install will complete and launch a Web browser where you can enter license keys. Please log in with the user name and password that you supplied during this install.
Please press OK to continue.
I still have ASP exception in the event viewer that display the same error. I've been really afraid of losing the database, but fortunately I could reinstall the former with success (1.1.2).

I also cannnot access the security page and have sent an email @ support@sourcegear as requested.

I think all those errors are linked and hope you will help us fix them quickly. We have many other small suggestions but those errors really are concerning.

10am
In fact, we can access everything except the source code :(
I've tried to restore the backup before the upgrade, it failed from Fortress (either SA access issue or this 'invalid object' error).
It has succeeded from SQQServer Management Studio, but we still cannot access the source code (stuck in 'retrieving repository structure information from the server'; though I've waited for minutes here).
I hope I'll be able to restore a proper backup before you read this post, but i REALLY need that we find why those errors are here. I'm really not confident and as you know, source code is everything for companies like us.

12am
OK it works, don't know why. After a server restore, and a connection from local GUI client. Nothing in sgvault.log except the connections...

Looking forward to hearing from you...

Thanks
Best regards

Xavier

Beth

Re: Critical: Error while upgrading to 1.1.3

Post by Beth » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:22 am

We were working on your 1.1.2 install previously offline. Had you followed my instructions? Did Fortress 1.1.2 get running from those instructions?

If Fortress 1.1.2 was still not running, then we need to step back to what was going on there.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:38 am

Can you send the Fortress_install.log from the failed install located in your %temp% directory? You can use the email button on the side of this message to email me directly.
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:03 am

This seems to be is specific to IIS 7 (without IIS 6 compatability turned on). You should be able to get around the issue one of two ways:

- add string value called WebSite in your registry under the Vault Server folder: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SourceGear\Fortress Server\WebSite and set its value to IIS://LocalHost/W3SVC/1/Root (or probably anything that isn't null -IIS 7 in integrated mode doesn't use this value) then install 4.1.3

- Uninstall 1.1.2 then install 1.1.3. I tested the fresh install with IIS 7 in integrated mode and it worked fine.
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:25 am

I would rather uninstall then reinstall.
But how can I be sure this error won't occur again; and what is the easiest way to go back to 1.1.2 if it fails ?
Best regards

Xavier

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:29 pm

The code that is causing your problem doesn't get called on a fresh install only on an upgrade.

A fresh install worked for the other person who was having your issue:
http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... 782#p44782

A fresh install worked in house.

You shouldn't need to go back to 4.1.2. Did you create a backup of your 4.1.2 database before you upgraded?
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:59 pm

I did create a backup, but failed to restore it from fortress (same error : null object or something like that; did it from SQL Studio).
Dual authentication needs to be activated for the restore to work as it uses SA account; right ?

I will try the fresh install tomorrow. But after the failure, I did uninstall 1.1.3, then reinstalled 1.1.2 and it failed... I don't really what made it work (either the full OS restore or installing the GUI locally, otherwise remote GUI were stuck in the 'getting repository')
Best regards

Xavier

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:31 am

Let us know if you need further assistance with this.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager