Upgrade from Vault to Fortress + Move

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

carl.chipman

Upgrade from Vault to Fortress + Move

Post by carl.chipman » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:43 am

We have purchased the licenses to upgrade our installation of Vault3.52 to Fortress 1.1. I know that it's supposed to be a relatively simple upgrade, but we are also wanting to move the server from our work site to our co-located site (high-availibility).

My plan is to try this:

1) Backup Vault Database
2) Uninstall Vault on our current server
3) Copy the database over to the new database server at our Colo Site
4) Install Fortress onto a new virtual machine
5) Profit!

Ok, except for Number 5, are there any hitches I should be aware of? We currently use Active Directory authentication for our user accounts, will that persist forward for the Fortress?

Beth

Re: Upgrade from Vault to Fortress + Move

Post by Beth » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:27 am

I wouldn't drop the original database during the uninstall of Vault, just in case something happened that prevented your backup from restoring. After Fortress was up and running, then you could drop the original database.

You will want to make sure you have your licenses ready to go before the move and upgrade. If you need help with that, our sales department can be reached at sgstore at sourcegear.com.

After upgrading you will need to enter in the information for your domain again so that people can use AD authentication again. If you have shadow folders, those will need to be entered again, or you can copy them from their original web.config if there's a lot of them.

If your users are using IDE integration, they may need to bind their projects to the new server or perform a fresh Open from Source Control (or Open from Fortress). This is a complete change of software, so your users will want to either check in their changes, or be aware of what changes on disk they have so they don't accidentally remove those files. Of course, as long as they don't turn off the backup option, Fortress would make a backup of modified files that are overwritten.

If there's any problems or confusion, feel free to contact me right away by either calling or sending an email to support at sourcegear.com. If you are doing this over a weekend, then you find it better to post to the forum with any issues.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support