Server 500 error viewing pending status items

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Charles Monk

Server 500 error viewing pending status items

Post by Charles Monk » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:30 am

The introduction of a 'pending' status type was great. We've adjusted the set of statuses on our Fortress server to match our workflow, so that items move from open through various pending states before being closed. Can't apparently post images here, so I'll do it in text:

Value Status Type
Open Open
Fixed in source (needs compile) Pending
Fixed in binaries (needs distro) Pending
Fixed in distro (needs verify) Pending
Cannot reproduce Closed
Verified in distro Closed
Invalid/Disregard/Obsolete/Expired Closed
Duplicate Closed
Completed Closed
Extracted (copied to another project) Closed

It's working fine for us, but there's a glitch with viewing these items. On the "Open Items" web page there's an oh-so-tempting looking tab next to the Open tab, which seems likely to show us a list of items with the second status: "Fixed in source (needs compile)". When I click on that, I get an error ...

Error 500: The Server is unable to process your request, click the login button to go back to the login page

So I've stopped using it.

Why do we get an error? What is that tab supposed to do? If there are items in other pending states then there is no corresponding tab for those. I notice that the state which does have its own tab is one of the two non-deletable statuses (which we re-cycled to be the second status).

CM.

lbauer

Re: Server 500 error viewing pending status items

Post by lbauer » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:05 pm

When I renamed my Status values to what you listed, I could see the "Fixed in source" items when I clicked on the tab. So this is specific to your database. We'd like to see a copy of the fortress.log file in C:\Windows\Temp\SGFortress on the Fortress Serve machine.

Send the logs zipped up to support at sourcegear.com, Attn: Linda. Please include a link to this forum post.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Charles Monk

Post by Charles Monk » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:10 pm

OK, we will send the logs when we can. The server is maintained for us off-site by another firm, so we can't directly access the logs.

Meanwhile, can you explain why only first of the statuses (other than Open) appears as a tab?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:43 pm

It was originally intended to show the default Open and Completed, but in your case, Completed was renamed. Whatever you name that second status will show up on the tab.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

Charles Monk

Post by Charles Monk » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:04 pm

OK, thanks for clarifying.

The second status cannot be deleted (presumably because it was the original, necessary, "Completed" status), but not can I change it status type. It's apparently locked at "Pending". Is this what you'd expect? If it's descended somehow from the original Completed, shouldn't its status type be "Closed"? Is there a way to change it?

Sorry to bang on about this, but I'm still a bit confused about what I'm seeing and what was the design intent.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:22 am

In the Fortress world, Completed isn't closed. Verified is closed. The assumption is that a developer marks a bug as "completed" but it still needs to be tested by QA.

This documentation was in our Dragnet product, but doesn't seem to have made it into Fortress documentation:
There are three different status types – Open, Pending, and Closed. By default, the Open status value has the status type Open, the Completed status value has the status type Pending and the Unconfirmed, Verified, Invalid, Disregard and Duplicate status values have the status type Closed.

Open – The Open Status Type means that the status value is considered open and items that have that status value considered open. These will appear on the Open Tab* of the Open and My Open pages and will be counted as open on the At-A-Glance and summary pages.

Pending – The Pending Status Type means pending verification. Items with a status value that is defined as Pending will appear on the Completed Tab* of the Open and My Open pages and will be counted as unresolved on the At-A-Glance page.

Closed – The Closed Status Type means a resolution has been found. These items are considered resolved and no longer appear in any of the summaries lists or open pages.

The Status Type associated to each status value can be changed to suit your needs with the exception of the Open status value which will always have a Status Type of Open and the Completed status value which will always have a Status Type of Pending.
Hope this helps. I've logged bug 14021to make the documentation more clear.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear