Problem with Eclipse plug-in

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

TheKo

Problem with Eclipse plug-in

Post by TheKo » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Hi,

having long-time experience with Fortress in connection with VS.NET, I recently tried the Eclipse plug-in for the first time. The plug-in itself works (quite) well and also has no problem connecting to a test server in the local network. But when I try to connect to another server over a secure channel on the internet, I continually receive an error message with the following information written to the eclipse log file:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 0 2009-03-03 02:48:15.921
!MESSAGE Unhandled event loop exception
!STACK 0
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at com.sourcegear.vault.team.wizards.LoginWizardPage.AttemptLogin(LoginWizardPage.java:45)
at com.sourcegear.vault.team.wizards.LoginWizardPage.onPageFinished(LoginWizardPage.java:74)
at com.cdesg.uihelper.wizard.ExtendedWizardPage.getNextPage(ExtendedWizardPage.java:123)
at org.eclipse.jface.wizard.WizardDialog.nextPressed(WizardDialog.java:813)
at org.eclipse.jface.wizard.WizardDialog.buttonPressed(WizardDialog.java:369)
at org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.Dialog$2.widgetSelected(Dialog.java:624)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:228)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1003)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3823)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3422)
at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.runEventLoop(Window.java:825)
at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.open(Window.java:801)
at org.eclipse.team.internal.ui.wizards.ConfigureProjectWizard.openWizard(ConfigureProjectWizard.java:224)
at org.eclipse.team.internal.ui.wizards.ConfigureProjectWizard.shareProjects(ConfigureProjectWizard.java:124)
at org.eclipse.team.internal.ui.actions.ConfigureProjectAction$1.run(ConfigureProjectAction.java:39)
at org.eclipse.team.internal.ui.actions.TeamAction$3.run(TeamAction.java:265)
at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator.java:70)
at org.eclipse.team.internal.ui.actions.TeamAction.run(TeamAction.java:262)
at org.eclipse.team.internal.ui.actions.ConfigureProjectAction.execute(ConfigureProjectAction.java:33)
at org.eclipse.team.internal.ui.actions.TeamAction.run(TeamAction.java:514)
at org.eclipse.team.internal.ui.actions.TeamAction.runWithEvent(TeamAction.java:548)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PluginAction.runWithEvent(PluginAction.java:241)
at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidgetSelection(ActionContributionItem.java:583)
at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.access$2(ActionContributionItem.java:500)
at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem$5.handleEvent(ActionContributionItem.java:411)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1003)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3823)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3422)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:2382)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2346)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:2198)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$5.run(Workbench.java:493)
at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:288)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:488)
at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:113)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:193)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:382)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:549)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:504)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1236)
Caused by: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at com.cdesg.uihelper.command.RunnableWithProgressCommandAdapter.run(RunnableWithProgressCommandAdapter.java:75)
at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:121)
Caused by: System.Exception: The connection to the server failed: server cannot be contacted or uses a protocol that is not supported by this client. Unable to connect to https://fortress. No server was found at the specified URL. Please verify your network settings using the Options dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client. Web Exception: ---> System.Exception: Unable to connect to https://fortress. No server was found at the specified URL. Please verify your network settings using the Options dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client. Web Exception:
at clr.System.ExceptionStaticWrapper.ExceptionCtor(Unknown Source)
at VaultClientNetLib.VaultConnection.Login(Unknown Source)
at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.Login(Unknown Source)
at VaultClientIntegrationLib.ServerOperations.Login(ServerOperations.cs:2562)
at VaultClientIntegrationLib.ServerOperations.Login(ServerOperations.cs:2668)
at com.sourcegear.vault.ui.commands.ConnectCommand.doRun(ConnectCommand.java:57)
at com.cdesg.core.command.Command.run(Command.java:77)
at com.cdesg.uihelper.command.RunnableWithProgressCommandAdapter.run(RunnableWithProgressCommandAdapter.java:67)
at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:121)

at VaultClientNetLib.VaultConnection.Login(Unknown Source)
at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.Login(Unknown Source)
at VaultClientIntegrationLib.ServerOperations.Login(ServerOperations.cs:2562)
at com.sourcegear.vault.ui.commands.ConnectCommand.doRun(ConnectCommand.java:57)
at com.cdesg.uihelper.command.RunnableWithProgressCommandAdapter.run(RunnableWithProgressCommandAdapter.java:67)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at VaultClientIntegrationLib.ServerOperations.Login(ServerOperations.cs:2573)

at VaultClientIntegrationLib.ServerOperations.Login(ServerOperations.cs:2573)
... 1 more

The server its is reachable without a problem using the rich client, the web interface or the VS.NET plugin, so this should not be the problem. Also, navigating to the URL provided in the error log (https://fortress.) yields the vault service web page as expected. I also tried different versions of Eclipse itself, all having the same problem.

Are there any known bugs or issues concerning this problem? Thanks for any help!

PS: The server _does_ use redirection based on HTTP headers, but this shouldn't be a problem since the other clients are working well... Or am I mistaken?

TheKo

Re: Problem with Eclipse plug-in

Post by TheKo » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:17 pm

As I just realized, the URLs in my post have been stripped by the forum due to an opening angle bracket I used in the placeholder when replacing the original domain name... :?

The original URLs of course are like: https://fortress.MYDOMAIN.com/VaultService

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:12 am

If you were already reading my previous answer, sorry, I have a better answer....

It could be that you need to import the certificate. We have a KB article with instructions posted here: Using SSL with the Eclipse Plugin or Java CLC.

Also, make sure you are using a SUN version of JAVA.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

TheKo

Post by TheKo » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:02 pm

Beth,

thank you very much, this really was the problem. I added the server's certificate to the local keystore, now everything is working fine.

(Yet the error message is still a little bit confusing because it contains no clue that this may be a certificate problem... I would have expected a neat dialog box that informs me about the missing certificate... :wink:)

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:50 pm

It was when you said "then I try to connect to another server over a secure channel" that I had the thought that you needed to import the certificate rather than reading the error. You are correct that the error doesn't indicate that well. I can put in a feature request for a better error message there if you would like.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support