Hiding Files in from source control in web applications

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Chrissteven81

Hiding Files in from source control in web applications

Post by Chrissteven81 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:18 am

I have an N-Layer application where i have a web interface a data dll and a biz dll. the problem im having is with the website included in source control it also includes the bin folder which houses the data and biz dlls. this means everytime i build/run the website anyone else working on the website can not build/run because it says i have the dlls checked out. this is not a big deal normaly but atm we are modifing the biz layer then look at it in our test harnesses in the web layer, meaning the biz dll is constantly changing for both of us. how do make it so VS does not try to upload dlls that are dynamicly built when you compile however at the same time include files i have in the bin folder such as 3rd party dlls?

Beth

Re: Hiding Files in from source control in web applications

Post by Beth » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:27 am

Could you tell me the exact version of Fortress that you have plus, which client is configured in Visual Studio (Classic Client or Enhanced Client or some other), and which version of Visual Studio you have?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

Chrissteven81

Post by Chrissteven81 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:54 am

Fortress Client - Version: 1.1.4(18402)
VS Source Control Selection: SourceGear Fortress Visual Studio Enhanced Client
VS Version: VS 2008 - 9.0.30729.1 SP

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:08 pm

What you can do is either remove the item from the Pending Changes window when it appears there so that it doesn't get added into Fortress, or you could switch to working in CVS mode so that no checkouts are required. That would be in Fortress Tools - Options - Concurrent Development.

I have a feature request open for Exclude from Source Control for the Enhanced Client that I can add your vote to if you would like.

You could also try working with the Classic Client, but with this, all users need to switch. Let me know first if you want to give that option a try. It has the Exclude from Source Control feature as well.
Beth Kieler

Chrissteven81

Post by Chrissteven81 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:12 pm

yeah add my vote. the problem with the classic is it has drawbacks of its own also lol. Not to mention if you swap to classic client then VS trys to do everything in that client so all other projects are effected by that change too. I'll wait to see if they find a way to add the feature without a project file(which i imagine is kind of difficult.) for now we will just have to be content with removing it from pending changes each time before we check in.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:47 pm

I have your vote in. Thanks for the feedback.

F: 12874
Beth Kieler

Pat123

Post by Pat123 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:16 am

My vote too. It would be nice to be able to exclude file types as with the standalone client as I have web projects with a lot of (non markup/code) files that I don't need to be under source control

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:18 pm

I've added your vote. Thanks for the feedback.
Beth Kieler

jfennell

Post by jfennell » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:34 pm

Any updates on the "exclude from source control" enhancement request? It would be nice to be able to exclude the project files (.csproj, .csproj.user) when working on multi-developer projects.
~ Jim Fennell
~ Web Team Professionals, Inc.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:43 pm

Are you talking about excluding .csproj files when using IDE integration? If you do that, then Visual Studio can't open a project from source control. Each user would end up having to create a brand new project and add each file in. VS relies on that file to tell it what files belong to the project.

It sounds like you have multiple developers ending up needing to check out the .csproj at the same time? If so, what could be preventing that is that it's set to not be mergeable, so it will require an exclusive lock. Go to your Fortress admin web page, and look for File Types under the repository settings. In there, you can set .csproj as a mergeable file type. It's not typical to make project files mergeable, but I've seen customers do it before. Once it's mergeable, multiple users can check it out provided no one explicitly put an exclusive lock on it.
Beth Kieler

jfennell

Post by jfennell » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:38 pm

You're right, doing that would prevent developers from being able to add the project from source control, and probably cause other headaches.

I'm evaluating different methods to solve the concurrency problems with project files and thought for a minute that excluding them from source control might be a valid solution. I'll probably go with one of the workarounds for project file locking mentioned on the Enhanced Client FAQ page (http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... 672#p39063).
~ Jim Fennell
~ Web Team Professionals, Inc.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:34 am

Thanks for the update. If you need any further assistance or ideas, just let us know.
Beth Kieler