Compare diffs on a folder can open incorrect window

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

rwmnau

Compare diffs on a folder can open incorrect window

Post by rwmnau » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:17 am

When I use the integrated "Show Differences" in the Fortress tool to compare a working folder with another folder in the repository that isn't the repository folder for those files, DiffMerge can exhibit some unexpected behavior. While the resulting folder diff is correct and shows me which files are out of sync, if I double-click on a file to see the file diff, DiffMerge tells me they're exactly in sync, even though it just told me in the folder diff that they weren't. It turns out that the file diff version is comparing the working file with it's repository version, which isn't what I want to do.

To replicate this behavior:

1. Branch a repository folder (from here on, referred to as "trunk" for the source and "branch" for the branch)
2. Modify and check-in any file from the branch
3. Right-click on the branch in Fortress and select "Show Differences"
4. In the dialog box, select "Any repository folder/file", and select the trunk folder, then click OK
5. Resulting folder diff will correctly display that the file you modified above is different than the trunk
6. Double-click on the modified file to pull up a file diff
This is where the behavior is unexpected
7. The resulting file diff will tell you there are no differences. If you look closely, you'll see that the diff window is comparing the working branch file with the branch repository folder, and the truck is gone from the comparison

I would expect that the resulting file diff would compare the two copies from my folder diff, and this leaves me without an easy way to tell in what way my file has been modified from the trunk version, since there's no way (that I can tell) to compare two repository folders. I hope I'm missing something obvious, because it would be a huge help to be able to do this! I'm using v1.1.4.18402 on the client and v1.1.1.18060 on the server, if it makes a difference.

lbauer

Re: Compare diffs on a folder can open incorrect window

Post by lbauer » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:17 am

I'm using v1.1.4.18402 on the client and v1.1.1.18060 on the server, if it makes a difference.
It might. I followed your steps, but couldn't reproduce the problem. My file diff correctly showed the difference between trunk and branch versions.

I'd suggest upgrading your server to 1.1.4. Let me know if this does not resolve the problem.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager