Designer files not added to source control

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Chrissteven81

Designer files not added to source control

Post by Chrissteven81 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:32 am

I can't reproduces this everytime it seems to happen randomly. I believe it is due to the file being regenerated when you remove an item and refresh your schema. I did find a post on this but it was from 2005 so i figured i would start a new. I am using VS 2008 SP1 when i added a Linq to SQL DBML file a designer.vb file is created. this file does not get added to fortress. you have to open the fortress client and add the file manualy to make it work. do you think there is anything i can do to fix this?

lbauer

Re: Designer files not added to source control

Post by lbauer » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:52 am

What version of Fortress are you using?

After a designer.vb file is created, look at the pending changes window. Do you see the designer file listed there?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Chrissteven81

Post by Chrissteven81 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:54 am

sorry for the long delay in reply i dont think to come on this forum much.
i figured out that if you delete the designer then try to add it back this occurs.
SourceGear Fortress
Version 1.1.4.18402

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:28 pm

i figured out that if you delete the designer then try to add it back this occurs.
I was able to reproduce this on a Windows Forms VB project. If you delete the .designer.vb file and re-add it, Visual Studio doesn't detect it as a new file for source control.

A couple of workarounds: You can undelete the file in the Vault GUI Client, by right-clicking the parent folder and selecting Properties->Deleted Items. Next, do a Get of that file. In Visual Studio, right-click on the project file and use the Add Existing Item command to add the designer file to the project. Then Save All and checkin the project file -- the designer file now should be back under source control.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Chrissteven81

Post by Chrissteven81 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:07 am

ok thanks.